S&W Stainless 65-5 DAO

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by tex45acp, Jul 15, 2006.

1. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

I need some good information on a double action only, 3" stainless 65-5, in .357mag, I found in a local gunstore. It is used and very clean. I did the normal checks on the revolver to make sure it is in good mechanical condition and it seems to be in great shape. I have heard that this is a low to medium velocity, low to medium range bullet size revolver and strength is what it is NOT noted for. They want $275 for the gun. I would appreciate any info....especially from you S&W forum members. I really like the look, heavy barrel and great trigger this gun has....so what do you think????

I already have a 3" SP-101, so this is really an impulse buy!!!!
  2. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I hope someone with a lot more knowledge then me comes along soon. I am not familiar with a DAO model 65. I thought they were all DA/SA. Is it a bobbed hammer?
    Anyway, in the condition you describe, I'd say $275 is not a bad price. I don't think I could find a good S&W at that price around here.
    Impulse buys are always a good impulse when it comes to nice handguns(as long as my wife doesn't find out!)

Check your responses at FFF
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  3. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

The K frame guns were produced for 40+ years in .357. All of a sudden, everyone thinks they are too weak for this round! They may wear quicker than a larger frame revolver when fed a steady diet of magnums, but most people used .38 special in them for the most part. S&W did a few runs of D/A only guns, some for police departments-and it was a common practice for gunsmiths to remove the single action notch on the hammer.
    Bill
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Exc. condition is worth $290
    If it is the lady smith(With smaller grips) it worth about $330
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Your DAO Smith may be the biggest bargain in your life!
    Moulton is an hour and a half, northeast of San Antonio, IIRC.
    I can think of three top flight pistolsmiths, here in San Antonio, who may have done this revolver; Steve Velchof (Deceased), Robert W Day (Deceased), and Steve Kline, who is still kickin'!
    All perfected their craft at the expense of the US Air Force, at the gun shop at Lackland AFB, in San Antonio.
    I doubt it was Bob Day's work, because it is in stainless; not his preference.
    If the S/N of the revolver rules out a production date of 1984, or earlier, it's not likely Steve Velchof, because he died around 84-85, I think.
    If it's Kline's work, it's a darn fine gun, even tho he's still around!
    If you are able to CAREFULLY remove the screws, and pop off the sideplate, you may well find some initials, and a mm/yy date, inscribed on the inner face.
    All three of the above smiths built top flight revolvers, though usually rebarrelled them with much heavier tubes, when PPC guns were all the rage!
    Hope this helps, and you hit a 'homer', with this one! Terry
  6. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

Wooo Hooo,

I am one happy new 65-5 owner. He wanted $275.00 and I talked him down to $250.00 out the door. It has Hogue grips and a super smooth trigger job. It also came with a slightly used Gould & Goodrich OWB Holster.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

Terry,

I popped the cover and found no initials or date inside. I took the hammer out and whoever did the work is a true craftsman as there is no evidence of there ever being a single action sear shelf. If there ever was a hammer spur, it was removed by someone with a keen eye and steady hand. I took my jewlers loupe and really scrutinized the surface and could find no evidence there was ever one there. The surface is even, follows the shape of the rest of the hammer and looks like it was actually made spurless. While I had the hammer out, I decided to dehorn all exposed corners along the back and polished the sides mirror smooth, where they make contact with the frame and cover plate....not that it needed it. The trigger pull is extremely smooth already.

Thanks for the information.

Mike
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  8. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

You got a great deal. The 65 3" is one of the best all around pistols out there.
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

Tex45acp; If you have a HINT of buyer's remorse, PLEASE let me know!
    The G&G holster is a mighty nice piece of hide, worth enough to bring your cost into the $175 area, for the revolver, you thief!
    Keep me in mind, if you change yours; I can be there, in an hour, for this!
    Ya done good!!!
  10. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

I decided to dress it up with a pair of nice wood grips. Much better looking than the rubber Hogues and they feel great in my hand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Tex,

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread but the 65 was my duty gun for more than a few years. I'd go back to it in a heartbeat if the Dept. would let me. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

EW
  12. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Tex and Omega they both look good