S&W U.S. Army Mod 1917

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by BlackGun, Oct 28, 2003.

1. BlackGun

BlackGun New Member

We have just received a Smith & Wesson, marked on the butt as U.S. Army Mod 1917. On the barrel it has S& W D.A.45. The gun is rough and need a lot of TLC. Can anyone identify this piece and tell us it's value before restoration!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2003
  2. BlackGun

BlackGun New Member

more pictures

another picture

Attached Files:

3. BlackGun

BlackGun New Member

a 3rd picture

another one!

Attached Files:

4. BlackGun

BlackGun New Member

12 hours later

No stop! Thud!

Attached Files:

5. BlackGun

BlackGun New Member

OK!

Soooooooooooo! I'm proud of my work ! Still what do I have?

Attached Files:

6. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

BG, looks to me like you turned that sows-ear into a silk-purse ;)

From what I see, it has a 6 digit s/n, that is throwing me off, for it to be an early mdl. hand ejector.
  7. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Wow, BlackGun! Awesome job! It doesn't even look like the same gun.
  8. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Your revolver is just what it says it is...a Smith & Wesson Model 1917.

As the U.S. approached entry into WWI, the Gov't realized that they would need a lot of sidearms for our rapidly expanding military. Colt, Remington, and Springfield Armory were at maximum capacity producing M1911s, and they couldn't make enough sidearms to satisfy the need.

Both Colt and S&W had large-frame revolvers that could be easily converted to .45ACP, so the Gov't contracted with them to produce them for our military forces.

The Colt New Service became the Colt Model 1917, and Smith .44 Hand Ejector (2nd Model) was converted to .45ACP to become the S&W Model 1917. S&W made 153,311 Model 1917s.

Your gun had the wrong grips and was missing the lanyard loop (it went thru that hole in the butt). In the condition it was in with the pits, finish, wrong grips, missing lanyard loop......I'd say it was worth about $150.

Refinishing destroyed any collector value.....but in the condition it was in, it didn't have much anyway.

So, give it a nice blue job, tune it up, and you've got a nice big-bore shooter.