S&W US Navy Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Helix_FR, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

OK guys and gals, I can't figure out what model S&W this is. Its Says 38 S&W Special CTG on the barrel. Its stamped US navy on top of the frame. Behind the yoke is says 91 005.
    4 inch barrel, 6 shot. Not really worth much b/c the forcing cone is spit on the bottom and about half way through the frame.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  2. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

pre-model 10 . called the M&P or victory model. lots made for the various services during the war. issued to guards. stateside service
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Thank You! Looked it up in BB and bam, there it was. Thanks for the help.
  4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Too bad about the forcing cone. Navy marked Victory models are in great demand, and in nice shape they sell for abouy $600. By the way, I need an issue shoulder holster for one of these if anyone can help me out.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I may just keep it and see if I can come up with a new barrel for it some day. It was given to me by my uncle and I got more than enough work right now that it will be about a year before I get to it plus I could use the practice on rebarreling and set back.
    He used to hit real estate sale big time in the 80's. Man he got some good deals on stuff. He payed only 10 bucks for the Smith. He bought a Colt Commander for 250.00:eek: and a Browning 1022 with the Natzi occupation proofing marks for 25. Those days are over...
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Thanks Alpo, considering the cost of the barrels and the current values and potential popularity rebarreling sounds like something that I need to do. maybe I'll be able to finally bust out that barrel vise I bought but never had a need to mount. Hopefully the barrels are already parkerized.
  9. wonderwhippet

I'm really holding out for an original holster, even though I expect it will cost big bucks. Helix, lots of luck on that barrel. Now here's a suggestion: Since your Navy marked Victory is much more valuable than an unmarked Victory, look around for an unmarked cheap parts Victory and switch barrels.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That won't make any difference. If he changes the barrel, collector value goes away. The barrel has the SN on it, so any semi-knowledgeable Smith collector will see right away that it has been switched.
  11. Danny

Danny Member

I am sad to say Alpo is correct. There will be no collector value, only shooter grade. Mine is in 95% condition w/correct holster & would not take anything for it. I can only imagine the dummy who chambered a 357 round in the throat of this nice weapon . Never shoot a collector grade gun,well maybe sometimes, but use the correct ammo.
    Regards
    Danny:(
  12. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Well sad to say, its junk anyway. I took into consideration the barrel swap and killing the collector value to just make it a shooter. Last night I was going over it and I was checking the range on the cylinders. The frame is tweaked slightly high in the back so the cylinders are actually at a slight downward angle, hence the split cone. When I stuck the rod through the barrel and into the cylinder it cleared just fine but it hits the bottom of the cylinder wall about half way though. So the bullet is actually coming downward towards the forcing cone. My uncle never shot it (thank God) but the guy he bought it from must have used it as a club at one time. To the wall it goes. Its OK my Type 39 training rifle was getting lonely on that wall.
  13. wonderwhippet

Apologies to Alpo

I just re-examined my Victory pistols, and found you are absolutely correct about serial numbers on the barrel. I just never noticed them in that unusual location before.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  14. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

mine does but when I called Numrich yesterday about a replacement they said that none of the ones they had in stock did. Who knows:rolleyes:
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've only got one, but it does. Stamped on the flat, underneath the barrel, right up next to the front of the frame.