S&W Victory doesn't always index properly

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ignats, Dec 18, 2011.

1. ignats

ignats Member

I have a S&W Victory model that indexes and locks up fine in single action mode but not always in double action mode. Any ideas as to the cause of that? Most of my experience is in auto loading pistols. Thanks.
  2. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Could be any number of things, most likely either crud or wear.
    In double action, is the cyl not making it to the lockup, or rolling past it?
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Could be a gummed up DA sear or worn DA sear spring. If it does not protrude its full let out, it can drop the hammer too soon. Remove the grips and remove the tension off the mainspring. Pull the trigger to the full rear, does it lock properly?
  4. ignats

ignats Member

I took it apart completely and cleaned, reassembled, and tested. Same problem. Single action is fine, slow double action works correctly but snap it two or more times fast and it appears that the cylinder is not rotating fast enough to bring the bolt into lock up. I didn't see any badly worn parts - but then again, I'm not an expert on S&W revolvers by any means. I see how the mechanism works and there appear to be several parts that would be suspect. The hand, hand lever and hand lever spring along with a tiny pin that holds the hand lever which in turn keeps the hand lever spring in place all have pretty tight tolerances.
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

A few things can cause this problem. One that comes to mind is cylinder endshake. If the cylinder face rubs against the end of the barrel as the cylinder turns it can affect the timing, particularly if the action is being operated quickly.

We would need to do a complete check of the revolver to accurately determine the cause, however it would be a fairly easy fix.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

2 things that come to mind on a fast index that will not properly lock. 1st is lock timing. It may not be unlocking before the hand is trying to rotate it wich can delay the advance of the cylinder. Second is that the cylinder is actually rotating past its index but it seems that it not locking on the next cylinder when it is actually skipping over one and moving to the next. Its a inerta spin. This is also a cylinder bolt timing or tension issue. Honestly I would not attempt to fix unless you know the Smith actions well. Messing with one aspect can screw up another. Ive spent a lot of time understanding the smith action. Its a downhill fight if you make corrections on the wrong part.
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Helix, I'm not sure if he's describing over-timing (inertia driving past the locking notch) or what.

This is really not a DIY, job, ignatz. Too many variables that need to be accurately diagnosed.
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

It may not sound like it but its a common problem. More in the colt world but it can come up. Unless you mark the next cylinder in some way, many people cant tell and think its the next cylinder when it actually skipped.
  9. ignats

ignats Member

Looks like it's the inertia problem. I loaded three spent cartridges and pulled the trigger three times fast. The last cartridge was past proper line up with the barrel, it went too far. I repeated this test several times and got the same results.

I hear you on trying to fix this myself. I've learned that lesson a long time ago. The lock work on double action revolvers is something I know very little about and as such, I won't go any further than to clean it and look for obvious wear or broken parts.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  10. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Ignats, I'm sure Helix or I could fix that issue for you at a reasonable cost. Click on the user name on the left side of the page to send a private message.