S&W vs Browning Buckmark

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 45nut, Feb 15, 2008.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

I owned a Buckmark for a number of years but finances dictated that I sell it. :mad: I want to add another .22 pistol and maybe another revolver (Taurus 922) and wanted to ask you how the S&W and Buckmark compare.

Reliability? Accuracy? Weight and Balance? What say you? Thanks for the advice. :D
  2. dusty9

dusty9 Member

The S&W 22A pistol has very good ergonomics and I am told that is generally very accurate. I have heard a few comments that it is not as reliable as the Buckmark or Ruger, but have not heard about any major problems with it. I personally like the 22A, but it's overall quality is not as good as the Buckmark or Ruger. However, it costs less than either the Buckmark or Ruger. I consider the various Rugers and Buckmarks the best .22 pistols made today (without getting into the exotic competition pistols). Just below them I place the S&W 22A and the Beretta Neos. The Beretta Neos is a futuristic looking pistol, but everyone who has one seems to like it. If your budget dictates getting something less expensive than a Ruger or Buckmark, I would definitely recomment either the S&W or Beretta. I think you would be happy with either of them.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I have owned a Buckmark and sold and shot a few 22-A's.

The 22-A is a plinker. Of the two you mention, I'd get the Ruger.:D
  4. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

IMHO...the Ruger is a fine rimfire pistol, but I prefer the Browning Buckmark over it for a couple reasons. I personally think the Buckmark is easier to clean and maintain, slightly better accuracy...(at least with mine)...and the stock trigger is lighter & smoother. But you wouldn't go wrong with either the Ruger or the Buckmark.
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Have you considered High Standard, as an alternative?, or a Smith and Wesson revolver, in a K or J frame package?
    The HS will in most cases, outshoot Smith's M-41, so, not exactly a plinker, but nothing would keep it from being so used.
    The larger, K frame Smith revolvers will shoot well, clean easy, and are as safe as it gets, for a new shooter, should that be in the picture, they do weigh some.
    The 22-32 kit gun, a J Frame production, is handy to shoot, or carry, and accurate as the shooter, in 3 and 4" barrels, and are one of my favorites, particularly, with a 3" pipe.
    I own several Smith revolvers, in the same 3", J-frame, configuration, in .22, .32, and .38 caliber, so I don't know that the .22 woild be my first choice, for a defensive weapon, in town, but it's one fine 'pocket gun', in the field, working my dogs, or just walking.
  6. cohoskip

cohoskip New Member

Summer: Chimacum, WA; Winter: Casa Grande, AZ
    I have had Hi Standard, Ruger and Buckmark. All things considered, I prefer the Buckmark... :)
  7. RonC1

RonC1 New Member

I have all three, Ruger MkII, Buckmark Camper and S&W 22A.

I can shoot the Ruger more accurately than the Buckmark but I like the Buckmark better, because, well, the mag release on the Buckmark is where you would expect it, behind the trigger, not on the end of the magazine (MkII.) (MkIII fixes this issue.) The Buckmark requires you to unscrew the rear sight mount to field strip (2 screws.) The Ruger is real easy to take apart but requires some strange manipulation to put back together. (I have to read the instructions, can never remember how.) Both shoot WalMart cheap Federal bulk ammo fine.

The S&W 22a is my favorite. I put a cheap 50 mm red-dot sight on it and it is awesome at 25 and 50 yards. When I go to the range, that is the 22 I usually take. My 22a is more picky about its ammo than the other two, but Federal Auto Match works fine and it is only a little more expensive than the WalMart Federal Bulk.

You won't go wrong with any of the three above.