1. mara

mara New Member

i was given a smith & wesson pistol and i know nothing about it. it says s&w special ctg, i think the # on the butt is 328114. grips are intact it is pitted. can you give me any informathin???
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Welcome to the forum! I personally don't know the value of your gun, nor when it was made, but some of the other guys will be along in a minute, or so, to let you know. However, it would seem that the price was right! Again, Welcome!
  3. mara

mara New Member

ty for the welcome.as you can tell im new with this.
    i was given 3 guns all in rough shape, but all working. i'd like to clean them up and find their worth. 1 is the s&w mentioned above, but i'm not sure of the caliber. the others were a victor .22 rf #67418 on butt the last is a hopkins & allen looks like a 32, but i can't find any numbers on it. help :)
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  4. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

mara: We need a bit more information on your gun. A picture would be nice, but at least tell us what else is says. Mike
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Welcom to TFF mara, a picture would help a bit if you have one.
    EDIT: grampawmike beat me to it.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  6. mara

mara New Member

how do i add a photo?
  7. mara

mara New Member

8. Zane71464

at the bottom, click on "Go Advanced" and when that comes up, there is a "paper clip" over top, click on that and it will allow you to uplaod a photo from your computer.
  9. Zane71464

10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Based on that bad picture, you have a pre-war S&W Hand Ejector Military and Police. You say it says "S&W Special" on it. There should be a number. If it is a Smith, and not a Spanish copy, it will say S&W on the left side of the barrel and 38 Special CTG on the right side. The S&W trademark should be on the sideplate, on the right side in front of the grips. MADE IN USA should be stamped on the right side. I can't see either of those marks in the picture.

Once again, assuming it is a Smith and not a copy, it was made between 1915 and 1942. They made SN 214704 - 700000 in that time frame, so with a 328 thousand number I'd put it at late 20s to early 30s.

Appears to be nickel plated, and the nickel is flaking off massively. On the underside of the barrel, back up against the frame, should be a flat spot with the serial number stamped into it. If the gun came from the factory with a nickel finish, there should also be an "N" stamped there.

I normally say that any Smith and Wesson that works is worth at least 200, but that one's pushing it.
  11. mara

mara New Member

it does say smith & wesson on the left of the barrel an very hard to read 38 s&w special ctg on the right side.i looks like someone took steel wool to the side of the gun :( i'll try and get a better pic
  12. mara

mara New Member

13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is a real S&W, but in very bad shape. It is a .38 Hand Ejector, Military & Police Model of 1905, 4th change. The serial number indicates the gun was made sometime around WWI, but that is as close as I can get. Almost a half million of that model were made from 1915 to 1942; the later WWII version was called the Victory Model, and still later became the Model 10, which is still produced today. Total M&P production up to WWII was about 700,000. The gun us not rare, it was one of the most common police revolvers and was very popular with civilians as well. Because of the large number made, there is collector interest only in guns in top condition.

Unfortunately, that gun has almost no value; it might bring $75 or so in a private sale if it is fully functional.

Jim
  14. mara

mara New Member

thanx much every one :)
    now i'n on to the 2 other guns :)