SA 1911 A1 feed problems

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by lonewolf204, May 27, 2011.

1. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

Beth; If you look at the bottom of the barrel on the 1911 were it meets the frame at the chamber you will see a bevel on the barrel were the feed ramp is close to it. When they throat the barrel they bring that bevel thats mainly on the bottom edge and bring it up on both sides of the barrel. This allows the bullet leaving the magazine to align up with the chamber much easier if its a little off center. We can't throat too much because we can throat too deep too. We shouldn't go no more than the throat on the bottom even a little less is better too. Were just removing the edge and making it an angle to guide the bullet better and quicker. Were adding a larger funnel so the bullet will feed faster and be more reliable.

I've learned so far that feeding problems can be the finish on the feed ramp too. The first thing i do with all my new 1911's is to remove the finish on the feed ramp if its present. I remove the finish and polish the feed ramp with a 400grit then a 600grit paper and last i polish it with the simichrome polish with a soft cloth. I remove the bluing and even the nickel finish on the feed ramps. I believe the finish can put the brakes on the round being loaded. Once the feed ramp is clean and polished i will test the brand new 1911 with running at least 500rds of FMJ thru it first. If its flawless for 500rds then i may try hollow points in it since i know its cycling flawlessly with the FMJ's.

Now if it still doesn't feed then i try a different magazine next.

To cover some of the other problems that can happen with the 1911 is stove piping. The last brand new 1911 i repaired would stovepipe 1rd per mag all the time. I found out the extractor needed retuning. Once i adjusted the extractor to the correct tention with the pull gage it feeds flawlessly now.

I hoped i helped somehwhat. I'm no guru I just like to do my own repairs. Bill
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

I expected someone to mention "limp-wristing" .... I've always heard it is/was a major
    cause of Failure To Feed in any semi that has you going "W.T.F."
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I rules that out fast as he had someone else shoot the pistol and the same problem occured. Same with mags. Several were used. He took a lot of the guesswork out by giving good info.