SA revolver, can't decide

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Enzo_Guy, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

It has been quite some time since I last posted here, but now I have discovered cowboy action shooting and it has reinvigorated my interest in firearms.:D I may not necessarily compete in events just yet, but basically what I'm looking for is a single-action plinking revolver. Caliber is either going to be .357 or .38, I'm just planning on running .38 Specials through it for low recoil and low cost of ammo. My pockets aren't deep enough to buy any Colt, Hartford, USFA, etc. so I'm looking at the Italian clones. It seems like Cimarron has the best reputation so I'm gravitating towards one of their guns. Also, I'm thinking a 5.5" barrel would be about perfect for me.

Colt SAA:
    The tried and true design. You can't go wrong with one of these, but then again that's what pretty much everyone buys and I do enjoy being a bit different from the crowd. If I were to go for a Colt SAA clone it would probably be a Ruger New Vaquero for the price and durability.

Remington 1875/1890:
    Nice looking firearms, but I admittedly know very little about them and what separates them from the Colts. Perhaps someone could give me a crash course in the Remingtons?

1851 Navy Conversion:
    If I were to go for a Colt conversion it would be the 1851 Navy because I have always liked the look of the octagon barrel on that gun. My only issue here would be I'm a little concerned about the sight picture. I'm not sure how much I would like the sights for extended plinking sessions. I guess I could always file the rear sight out, but I have heard a lot of complaints surrounding the sights on these guns so I'm a bit wary.

1858 Remington Conversion:
    I've heard virtually nothing, good or bad, about the Cimarron/Uberti 1858 conversion. I've seen that the BP shooters like the sights and disassembly of the 1858 better than the 1851, but even then I couldn't find anything on the conversion.

Maybe I'm just weird, but if I go to cowboy action event I would like the have something just a little bit different than the Colt SAA that it seems 90% of the people there are shooting. I really like the conversion revolvers from Cimarron because they have a very distinctive look and still fire .38 Special. Maybe I missed something (a Schofield/Model 3 is out of my price range). I just want to make sure I get something I'm going to be happy with because if I start getting more involved in cowoy action obviously I'm going to need a pair or wheelguns, and I don't want to have to shoot a pair of guns I don't like.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Enzo_Guy:

Years ago I bought a new SAA Italian clone. It looked really good, in fact excellent and was had to tell from a real Colt. But it suffered several problems including not shooting all that well. The cylinder had excessive end shake. It did not shoot to point of aim, which was very visible on the target at 50 feet. It matters not which brand but I think the Italian clones do not measure up. I sold it just recently.

I replaced it with a Ruger Biseley Vaquero in 357Mag. What a difference in fit and finish, and accuracy. Mine is the all Stainless model and is highly polished with imitation Ivory grip panels. The only fault with the gun is that the sights glint in the sun because they too are polished Stainless. After some judicious masking I bead blasted the actual sights (nothing else) and the glint went away. A regular Blued Ruger, of course, would not have this problem. In general, I am not a big Ruger fan (I only have a MKII, one Model 77 rilfe, one #1 rifle, and this Vaquero but the Vaquero impressed me a lot and I recommend it highly. I think it different enough to meet your requirements and a whole lot better than any of the clone you mentioned, for appearance and shooting.

LDBennett
  3. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Most repo Italian SA revolvers will be imported from Uberti or Pietta. The distributors can order with tweaks or imporvements that basically are fit/finish related..Both Cimmaron and Taylor and Son have high quality Uberti handguns..I did have to bend the front sight over just a tiny bit to get one of my Taylor Uberti 1873 to go point of aim, but that was no biggie..All of my SASS handguns are Uberti made.

I dont know if Beretta is still in the business or not, but I never liked the finish or feel on their SA's..I dont have a Pietta revolver..so cant help you there...Did shoot one in .45 with the Bisley grips and it was quite nice.

Also had and traded a Vaquero..It was a FINE gun...But I prefer the original, more traditional designs over the floating firing pin Vaquero.

Ive a friend who is worlds champ SASS Female BP cartridge shooter and has been for several years. She uses the 1851 Uberti Conversions in 38spl. I have one also, but really havent had a chance to put on paper. It shoots quiet well at the very short SASS pistol ranges.

Just made a trade a short while ago for a Uberti Schofield in .45C...It is extremely well made, but does spit a little lead due the the shortened forcing cone to allow for the .45C round...
  4. Enzo_Guy

Enzo_Guy New Member

Thanks for the info, from what I have heard Cimarron does hand pick their guns off the assembly line at the Uberti factory, but who really knows how true that is.

The conversion revolvers, especially the open top octagonal barrel 1851 Navy, have my interest the most because they are clearly very different from a Colt SAA even to the glancing eye. Definitely one of the best looking revolvers ever made. I guess if Bill Hickok could supposedly operate them with such accuracy the sights can't be that bad.:D

I'm kind of up in the air when it comes to the finish. I wouldn't mind the nickel both for the look and for the ease to keep clean (with proper care), but I have heard some complain that they have trouble seeing the front sights with all the shiny metal and since CAS is outdoors I could see a real problem with that. On the other hand, I'm not looking for a safe queen so a blue or case hardened finish worries me because it will see some wear and this is going to be a range gun.

Hell, I'll just buy 2 of all of 'em! Pair of nickel 4.75" 1851s with pearl grips, pair of 5.5" 1858 Remingtons blued with walnut grips, and a pair of 7.5" 1875 Remingtons blued with stag grips. Anyone want to mail me that winning lottery ticket?:cool:
  5. Aces & Eights

Aces & Eights New Member

Not sure if this helps but recently I bought a .357 Vaquero in stainless and can't fault it.

Was told fixed sights are better for getting out of holsters so I've been busy working up loads to line up with the sights. So far it seams to like hot and heavy 38s.
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I prefer the originality of the Uberti but it's not everybody's cup o tea.
  7. ozo

ozo Active Member

Myself, I simply stick with Ruger.
  8. savage170

savage170 Member

I have this Uberti clone and very happy with it
    [​IMG]
  9. ozo

ozo Active Member

As for 'plinking' with .38s
    I load my .357 cases light.
    My brass seems to last forever
    and I have little cylinder cleaning.
  10. Win73

Win73 New Member

If you do get into competition, due to the large amount of shooting done, I don't think any of the others will hold up as well as a Ruger.
  11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

SA Ruger's...cant hardle beat them! I had the .44mag, but got the .357 mag and a few .22's, and I havent got one bad thing to say about them.
  12. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Most definitively get a Ruger:

.357 Mag -

[​IMG]

.45 Colt -

[​IMG]
  13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

^^^ like both of those, but REALLY like that .45!!!
  14. lastgunsmith

lastgunsmith New Member

My SA competition gun is a New Vaquero in .357 Mag. I love it. I also have another vaquero exact same but for plinking and ranch duty. Neither have let me down yet.
  15. Python

Python Former Guest

You can't go wrong with Vaquero SA.

Vaquero 44 mag/44 spl.
    [​IMG]

Ruger New Vaquero .357/38 spl

[​IMG]
  16. Clipper

Clipper Member

Just another confirmed Ruger fan. I have an old Blackhawk with a conversion cylinder and it is still the best shooter I own. Yep, gonna keep it, and keep loading light .357/.38 for this accurate old friend.
  17. JohnnyFlake

JohnnyFlake New Member

Enzo Guy,

Did you ever get yourself a SA Revolver?

If not, take a look at some of the recently released guns from Uberti, those released over the last 4 years or so. There are some truly fine pieces available. Uberti has an 1873 Model, named after Evil Roy who has been the SASS Champion several years in a row. He uses Uberti Guns. Uberti also offers a version call the El Patron which is custom fitted and hand tuned, as is the Evil Roy.

There is also an Uberti that is custom fitted and hand tuned that comes from Taylor & Company. It is called the Smoke Wagon Deluxe.

Al of these special editions can be had in the $450 to $600 range.

Personal, I purchased an El Patron in .357 with a 5.5" barrel and a Taylor Smoke Wagon in .45 Colt with a 4.75" barrel. They are fantastic pieces.

Uberti has been owned by Beretta for a few years now and the quality has improved dramatically.
  18. savage170

savage170 Member

v
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  19. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

Try a Ruger Vaquero in 357Mag. You can change out the grips (many places on the Internet) to make it "look" different. You can also reload light rounds for it (you will have to if you get involved in cowboy action shooting). You will also need a lever in the same caliber and a double barrel coach gun. All great fun to shoot! Pick out an alias and dress up like Clint Eastwood! What could be more fun! Spurs optionl LOL.
  20. Bigbill

Bigbill Member

I just picked up a Ruger Vaquero in 45 long colt with a 7 1/2'' barrel in polished stainless and she looks awesome. For cowboy shooting you want a shorter barrel of course.