1. Frankb

Frankb Member

I just purchased my first muzzel loader a T/C Impact. I drew an elk tag for the season that starts 9-1-12 this weekend. I'm using Barns 290 gr. sabots that have pellet tails. I'm using 120 gr of Blackhorn 209 powder. I know there isn't supposed to be a gap between the powder and the bullet but without the pellets the tails create a gap. Should I get flat based sabots or is there a noticeable difference in accuracy with unfilled tailed sabots? Also do Burris Fullfield II scopes with the BDC reticle work for muzzel loaders? Are the slashes on the reticle still usable?
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i think your wrong about there being a gap.the sabot should seat itself in the loose powder.i have been shooting barnes 300 grain solid copper bullets with the same type sabot for years with one inch groups at 100 yards.to your question you need to contact the manufacture. old semperfi
  3. Frankb

Frankb Member

You're right about the space. I am having a problem with shooting a decent pattern. I suspect I need to experiment with the powder charge.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    frank,try starting at 100 grains,when you seat your sabot do not pack it in.it should be pushed down until contact only.the other thing you need to keep in mind is that the only shot that counts is the one shot from a cold barrel.when you think its right then make sure to check from a cold barrel.people tend to shoot multipal times and think they have it,only to clean the gun and still miss.keep that in mind. old semperfi