Saddam Hussein Gold Gun (Beretta)+

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by goldguns, Dec 29, 2006.

1. goldguns

goldguns New Member

Saddam Hussein Gold Beretta Gun - PICS ADDED!

waste of time...
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Can you post pictures?

While I did find a picture of one to prove they existed other than a "one of a kind gun", I could not find a price.
  3. southernshooter

That's purty Gold
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

If you go to sell a house, the first thing a realator will do is go to the MLS, and look for 'comps'- houses about the same size, condition, in the same area, etc, and what they sold for, to establish an 'asking' price.
    With this, and much of the Saddam Era stuff, there are no 'comps', as he spent the wealth of a nation, as if it were his own, often on "1 of" kinda goods.
    As a shooter, the pistol is a Tariq, a licensed 'copy' of a 'real' Beretta, and metallurgy, questionable. Price would then go down.
    As a 'collectible', it will never be shot, so that is irrelevant, but PROOF of provenance, essential!
    I have seen at least six Bowies, all attributed to James Bowie, in the area (Texas), in the last 20 years; none could be proven up, so price goes down.
    If there are 'capture' documents, receipts, letters, etc, over Saddam's hand, or the signature of someone identifiable, as his agent, specifically referring to this pistol, they would tremendously enhance it's value; consider no purchase, at this level, without such.
    Think about it this way; a small envelope, full of whiskers, is just that, until a letter from someone close to him, identifies the envelope as containing Adolph Hitler's moustache. While I have no personal interest in such things, I would ecpect such an item to bring in the $millions, at auction, from someone with an interest, and the money to pursue it.
    Were the pistol offered at auction, today, by a firm like Sotheby's, it would likely fetch over $300K US, not out of value, but rarity, and provenance.
    Prolly cost well less than $3K, to commission, and build- Go Figger!
    Just my .02---YMMV
  5. goldguns

goldguns New Member

Thanks for your reply!

The gun did come with a card from Hussein Kamel as you can see in the picture... unfortunately; he was killed in Iraq in 1996. More about Hussein Kamel... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussein_Kamel

The person who owns the gun is a Jordanian ex military officer who debriefed Kamel on behalf of the late King Hussein in 1996 when he fled to Jordan. He also has an AK47 which clearly has engraved on it a "gift by the president, Saddam Hussein". It comes with 2 magazines and cleaning equipment... i will be able to ulpoad some pics in a day or two...

but for now, here is the photo of the card that came with the Tariq gun...

it states in Arabic

"The 1st Brigade"
    "Hussein Kamel Hassan"
    "Minister of military industries"​

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  6. southernshooter

My question to you Gold is it a legal bought and sold in the U.S. gun or a war trophie?
    My other question are you in the U.S.
    If it is outside of the U.S. it could bring a lot less of a value due to less restrictive import laws and availability
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  7. stash247

stash247 New Member

The pistol is not Gold, only plated. Import restrictions apply as to any firearm, unless it comes back as 'crew baggage', in which case it will never rise above the horizon. Got it?
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

The gun's gold plating should not have cost more than $100 or so. Anyone can engrave/etch anything on any gun. Without absolute provenance, only a fool would even consider it. Why "pimp" and present a gun that is not a top-quality firearm? Saddam probably would have presented a Beretta 951, not a Tariq.
    Bill
  9. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

It looks like a very cheaply made firearm. I would not consider it to be in the same class of quality as my Beretta 92FS in the practical shooting sense.However, I suppose it would be of great value to someone interested in it.
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

Bill, as you will note, absolute provenance was at the top of my list.
    Likewise, some mention of metallurgy, etc.
    Supposing this weapon to be genuine, why would a head of State, with a licensed factory, in his country, outsource such a gift?
    The Taruiq factory is the officially licensed Beretta producer, in Iraq, and would certainly be the first choice, for most locals, especialy a politician.
  11. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Stash-
    Good point.
    Bill