Safe / Accessible Storage?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 45Smashemflat, Oct 23, 2004.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

This section has been a bit dead lately, figured I'd post a question and stir up a little conversation perhaps -

My wife and I have no kids and few visitors with kids. Thus, my firearm storage routines may be a bit on the "loose" side as compared to others. Loaded guns in drawers, shotguns leaning in corners, pistols laying out on night stands, ammo used as paper weights, etc. On the rare occasions that some one drops by, I usually politely ask them to wait in the kitchen with their kids while I "safe" the house. I point all this out to show that I don't exactly think about child-gun safety on a daily basis as my guns are not exposed to children - but I'm not an idiot when one comes by.

A coworker, knowing my gun interest has expressed an interest in aquiring a home defense weapon, most probably a shotgun. We got into a discussion on how to best secure a weapon with an eye towards reasonable access as well as child safety - he has two boys under 10.

We talked pumps and single shots (since a single shot can be had for very little cash - he's on a budget.) Storing them unloaded. The pump could have ammo in the mag. The single shot could have ammo on a stock sleeve or stored on a nearby shelf. Both could be racked to a corner with a simple lock. Or perhaps hung on hooks above a closet door out of sight.

What other ideas are out there? (I know, education of the boys is the best policy, and I will insist on that and help, but the wife is going to be looking for some form a secure storage very different from my typical methods.)

???
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Education is the best tack, but it should start early. I started my kids when the were just barely old enough to talk. Then it has to be a natural and everyday thing. They should, as part of that education, be allowed to shoot themselves to develop a working knowledge of the weapons and consequences. That's where a .22 calibre and a .410 come into play.

I would opt for the empty chambre idea regardless of the type shotgun. Also, a closet would be better than the corner of a room in plain sight. Of course, a gun cabinet of some kind is better but one must weigh the positives and negatives. One could start with the cabinet and education and then play it by ear as the education progresses. Each situation has its own special circumstances and we must guage how progress is being made.

Lastly, with children in the household, we must not forget that each of the children will have friends and we must envision those that might be on premises over which we have no control. More often than not, accidents occur when children, not of the household, are involved and then, it is almost always a lack of education on their parts.

It's an awesome responsibility but it can be handled with much thought.

I don't know if this is of any help but I think it touches on the highlights.
  3. Nole

Nole New Member

When i was young I knew where all the guns where in my house and was allowed to handle them with supervision of my father anytime i wished. He very vividly showed me the destuctive power of the guns and the consequeces of the guns. With the abilitly to handle the guns when ever i please the luster of having guns in the house and there "play value" diminished very quickly. I never would go around to play with them. I always checked the gun first to see if it was loaded and never had a problem when my friends came over. The guns were all stored in my parents room which was off limits to friends for the simple fact the it was just wierd to have friends in there, i barely ever went in there myself. What worked for me and my family was to take away luster of the guns and just made sure that i knew never to play with them. But as in everything what works for one person will not always work for another person.

I know I have very bad spelling
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I agree that education is key, and Nole's upbringing is exactly what I always suggest, i.e. allowing supervised handling and shooting of the gun, taking away the mystery of it.

There will always be the trade-off between secure storage and quick accessibility. At my house, my youngest is 17, so Marlin and I have no problem with keeping a loaded pistol in each bedside drawer. With small children, obviously, this would not be an option.

As far as locking goes, there are several different ways to lock a shotgun, from trigger locks to cable locks to bicycle-type locks.

There are also "collars" that can be mounted on the wall (usually inside a closet) to lock the gun. The Loc Box is one example: http://www.mossberg.com/locbox.htm Another is Tuffy's Gun Collar http://www.tuffysguncollar.com/TGC_How.html
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

Thanks for all the insight thus far - we are all totally aligned on the educational impact on safety. I too was "raised" around firearms all my life and almost don't recall being "taught" about how to handle them - its like they were always there and were always nothing more than "tools" to be used safely - just like any other tool around the house.

I think that many adults were not raised around firearms and thus only see gun safety in the guise of locks and safes and stuff. Its a tall order to get them to change their minds.