Safe Combo Lock Conversion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 76Highboy, Jan 15, 2013.

1. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You guys WILL appreciate this.

I have a gun safe (I think I will call it an A.S. which is short for Assault Safe because it has loaded firearms in it and can go ballistic at any moment and may just start running around assaulting the innocent) that had the electronic entry device and I decided to oust it for a dial combo. I bought the dial combo and began the install and it would not work. So, I called a Lock Smith. When the Lock Smith arrived, this was the conversation when I opened the door to greet him.

Lock Smith: "Do I need to remove my firearm before I enter your home?" The Lock Smith then opened his jacket and politely showed me a FNP 45 semi auto. I immediately shook his hand and we were like a couple of kids. Before any work got done on the safe we were exchanging hardware and talking guns. He thinks exactly like us (everyone on TFF).

It was so awesome that he came armed and wasn't quiet about it.

I now have a dial lock on my safe and in the event we have an EMP disaster I will have access to my firerarms, ample batteries, and survival electronics so now I can sleep peacefully knowing they can't stop me from getting into my A.S. (Assault Safe). :D

Oh ya, and now I have a really good Lock Smith.;) I highly recommend Safe Home Lock Smith!!!
  2. ejkoechling

ejkoechling Well-Known Member

:D puts a smile on your face:D
  3. 76Highboy

The sucky thing is we had trouble getting the lock to work so my safe was open for two nights. I was on guard those two nights. Once I got it working I was quite a bit less anxious. I think I slept with one eye closed and the other one open.
  4. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

:)Now I cant sleep because im worried your assault safe is gonna hit the interstate and come to indiana and assault me you better give me the combination so I can disarm it.:)
  5. 76Highboy

It's a sniper A.S. Ryan. It won't let you get within seeing distance. Sorry about that but thanks for playing.
  6. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I should of known.lol
  7. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

kinda brings a tear to your eye:D
  8. 76Highboy

I'm kind of thinking I might make it mandatory in my home that when I call a local business for services that I request a CCW holder and if they do not have anyone that is then I call the next company.

The Lock Smith that came to my house was an outstanding citizen.
  9. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

i couldn't agree with you more;)
  10. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, I have the electric keypad, it lights up when I touch it so I can enter the combination. Not that I don't have flashlights everywhere, but it occured to me I may want to be concealed while opening the safe and shining a flashlight around would not be the best idea. (call me paranoid) On the other hand, I have had to replace the battery a few times, and do not want to have to do that while an intruder is prancing around in my house. Soooo, I would like to know more about the lock you purchased. Could you post the name, model etc, and a general idea how much it cost with and without the locksmith.
    Also any stories the locksmith had about being denied entrance from anyone.
    Thanks
    fred
  11. PMK

PMK Former Guest

Bought a new safe last year and got the dial because of the EMP possibility. I am a certified locksmith and you better believe I carry. No, wait, I forgot, I sold all my guns to that guy from out of town whose name I can't remember.
  12. 76Highboy

The best advice is to call a lock smith that can work on your particular safe, then he can provide you with the lock and give you a quote. From what I understand the digital locks can fail but the dial is alomst fail proof.
  13. 76Highboy

Oh, I completely understand, heck I don't own a single firearm any more. As a matter of fact I'm now a liberal, ya, a liberal. The only thing in my safe is love and poffy things that make you tingle all over. It's such a warm feeling. OK, now I think I'm going to go vomit.
  14. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

What gun safe, oh that, it's a water closet.....
  15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I sold all my guns too, I don't own any. Or maybe they fell into the river, I was out on the boat last month....

My safe is full of fluffy stuffed animals now.... The police will protect me....

Pretty nice to see the locksmith was armed. As should be the case for anyone who has to make house calls, like pizza delivery guys, etc...

i've always preferred the dial safes, can't stand electronics for anything that I depend on that much.
  16. 76Highboy

I feel so much better with the dial. The safe came with the digital but I just could not stand having it any longer so I made the swap.
  17. 76Highboy

Now that's what I call some high quality H2O.:D
  18. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't remember what I did with all my guns. Highboy did I send them to you? Cant find any of them.
  19. 76Highboy

Yes, but your guns were caught up in the fast and furious along with mine. They are history bubba, history! Right now they are down South.
  20. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

fixed it for ya:D