Safe to apply Formby's tung-oil with fingers

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wpshooter, Feb 8, 2012.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I have been using Birchwood Casey Tru-oil on my gunstock refinishing.

I have always used my bare fingers to apply the Tru-Oil.

I am now going to try some Formby's tung-oil instead of the Tru-oil.

Is it safe to apply the tung-oil with bare fingers, i.e. will this tung-oil irritate the skin ? It says on the Formby's to use gloves but I am wondering if this is really required.

Thanks.
  2. The Duke

The Duke New Member

I suppose it will depend on your skin sensitivity to it...But tung oil is quite safe to handle for most people......I love Frombys and have applied it by hand rubbing for years and not had a problem....Just gotta keep your mind on what youre doing and remember not pick your nose ....:eek:
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I use gloves myself, since there are petro-chemicals in the finish. But folks have been applying it for years with bare fingers too.
    Formby's instructions say to use em and I've already had enough exposure to petroleum solvents in my life that I try to take the extra precautions whenever I can now. Some folks are fairly resistant to those solvents and some react fairly quickly, either way prolonged exposure isn't good for ya. Better safe than sorry.

The same applies for Tru-Oil or any other combo-type oil finish too. Unless they're specifically listed as pure oil finishes they're a combination of oils, mineral spirits, turpentine, varnish, and/or similar ingredients.

Get the nitrile rubber gloves instead of just plain latex if you can get them since the petroleum solvents will attack the latex. Even the cheap PVC gloves work better than latex but they will break down from the solvents eventually too.

I'm really surprised that Formby's doesn't have a link to the MSDS sheet on their website.
    Attached is a PDF of it if you want to see what's all in there and what they list as needed protection.

Attached Files:

4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

why would u not use gloves the chemicals get in your skin
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Anymore, especially when I'm cleaning SEVERAL guns or anything else, and using anything with "chemicals" in it, I use the "doctors-gloves. (why not, easy to use and slip off)