Safe to shoot squirrels in trees with .22LR?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by jjfawks, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I like squirrel, they are to small and to fast for an old man to try and catch so I shoot them, in the trees, because that's where they live. Never had one shoot back, never had a bullet bounce back, never known a bullet that could travel very far through the canopy of a herd of trees.

I'm fairly new at this squirrel hunting thing though, Grandpa was doing it in the 20's I didn't start till the 50's. I almost have the hang of it now. Maybe next fall I will look for those pigs that live in tree's. Would a 22 be big enough for them or do I need a different gun?
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Sure... It's all about range and bullet placement. :p

Crpdeth
  3. Thomas_1

Thomas_1 New Member

If you have any concerns then I would just use a shotgun. I hunt a lot in conservation areas and they only allow shotguns for squirrel hunting. When they are on the ground I use my .410, when in the trees I use the 16ga pump.
  4. ARB

ARB New Member

A .22 works great to shoot the paw off when they are hanging dead from a branch. (I, probably can't shoot like that anymore)
    I, always prefered the single shot .410. I was taught to never shoot a squirrel off a branch with a .22. I did it anyway, but my conscious was at ease with the scattergun.
  5. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

On private land in Florida, NO BAG LIMIT.

On PUBLIC land (Wildlife Mgt Areas/Military Bases like Eglin AFB)...one per day.

And you can use ANY caliber hunting rifle on 'em.

Those states that haven't modifyed their pig hunting calibers over rimfire haven't run across those 300+ pound MONSTERS we have in the south, yet. But as the Discovery channel shows..they're just starting to find out all across the USA...BIG monster Russian & Spanish wild boar ain't gonna drop to no .22lr
  6. Big Shrek

PRACTICE ON GOLF BALLS until you can pop 'em from 25 to 75 yards.

Which means you can always make headshots on ye olde squirrel...which means no misses :)
  7. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Hi! I'm glad to know!
  8. bobkk

bobkk Member

I knew a man where I grew up. Late 40's or early 50's
    he and his brother in law were squirrel hunting with 22
    rifles. He shot a squirrel off a limb and his brother in law
    was up the hill from him. Bullet killed squirrel and his brother
    in law. He had to live with that.
  9. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

That aint no joke, I have sen some bigguns in southern GA. I sow one a feller hit with a turck and it damn near killed the driver. He hit a 300+ pounder at 60mph and it tore the laft front wheel off the truck. He was driveing a 96 Suburban 4x. I have seen them shake off 22mag shots from 50 yards, the idiot that pulled the shot was goin for a head shot. The problem was I was closer to the pig than he was and the damn thing chased me up a tree.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Some low life clown brought some Russians up to Wisconsin from Texas for hunting purposes. The farmers getting their fences torn up and their newly planted fields dug up are not amused. They are considered vermin in Wisconsin by the DNR and all you need is a small game license. No bag limit, no size limit and no season, you see it shoot it. 150-200 lb seems to be typical and have been taken with everything from a .243 to a mini van. 30 caliber guns are the most popular.

Biggest concern for local farmers is the threat of pseudo rabies and Swine Brucellosis. I don't want to see those suckers on my land but I pretty much guarantee if I do they won't be leaving my land.

Seriously I would not want to take a shot at one of them with a 22 unless I was up the tree and it was trying to climb up after me. I'm thinking that isn't very likely. In the meantime I have 12 acres of my own and a quarter million acres of DNR land on the other side of my fence. Me and my 22 and squirrels will continue to meet and I will continue to invite them home for supper.
  11. Big Shrek

If I was in one of those dangfool states that had a pig problem & lousy rimfire-only laws, I'd blast 'em with a .30-30
    & cook 'em before anyone at G&F could figure it out ;)

Thank God I live in a state that has some common sense gun laws :D
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010