Safes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thorisin, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Thorisin

Thorisin New Member

I have a question for those who own a Liberty safe. I was looking at the Cannon Commander, the Browning Platinum and the Liberty Presidential. I chose the Liberty splitting the difference. I was curious though. What kind of anchoring holes does the Liberty have? How many and how big. I am hoping for four as I dont want to drill new holes. I am going to anchor this sucker to the floor so a forklift can't get it out. :)

Thorisin
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Most gun safes are simply security cabinets that will keep totally inexperienced and ignorant persons out. Sometimes called "smash and grabber" burglars.

They often provide a false sense of security for their owners. None of the major brands or models will likely get even the lowest forced entry rating for a "Safe" by any major safe rating organization, which is essentially to withstand 15 minutes under skilled attack without using thermal tools. A knowledgeable and skilled metalworker with commonly available portable power tools will neatly compromise most such so called safes in less than an hour.

Thus, the make or model of your "Gun Safe" does not really matter much. Whether it weighs 500 or 1500 pounds, or has 6 locking bolts or twenty-six, or whether the body is just thick sheet metal or 1/4" plate, or whether the door is 3/16" thick or 3/4" thick; such safes keep out rank amateurs not professional criminals who know what they are doing.
  3. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

I beg to differ about the use of thermal tools. We opened one with a sawmill in less than five minutes. You would be surprised at how easy it is to cut one of these open.
  4. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I am not here to give safe breaking lessons as all kinds of persons read this forum.

I know that you (jbrescue) are exactly right about how easy it is to compromise most so called "Gun Safes" with non thermal tools that anyone can buy at "Lowe's" or "Home Depot" and easily carry.

I have not been in intimate involvement in the safe business in over 25 years. I thought that the safe burglary rating system had changed significantly; but apparently not. Check out the link, that follows.

http://silvaconsultants.com/joomla1/index.php/introduction-to-burglar-and-fire-safes.htm

What I said or tried to say was that the lowest burglary rating for a safe (which is still called "TL-15") does not allow the tester to use thermal tools in forcing entry into the safe. My exact words were "which is essentially to withstand 15 minutes under skilled attack without using thermal tools."

There may be one being made and sold, but I know of no major brand of "Gun Safe" that gets even a "TL-15" rating. Gun Safes are security cabinets that can be expected to prevent a random "smash, grab, and run" burglar from stealing your valuables. Still, most burglaries are of the foregoing type, and just about any 500 pound or heavier Gun Safe will keep a person with no suitable tools and not much time to spend, from breaking into it.

A safe for your valuables (like $500,000.00 worth of rare and valuable high end long guns) that you can put any real trust in, will weigh over 10,000 pounds, cost over $15,000.00 and be rated for at least 1/2 hour against most possible skilled attacks on all 6 sides. Obviously, most of us have no need for, and cannot justify, such a safe.

Hope this is informative.
  5. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

Agreed. The safes that you find at most stores, even the "fireproof" ones, can be easily gotten into if someone wants to. Also, I have seen these safes after a fire and have seen destroyed guns inside of them. A fire that burns very hot, full room involvement, will damage or destroy guns in any safe.
  6. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

The only true deterrent to that type of crime is to properly punish burglars and home invaders.

I for one would be in favor of 2 strikes and you're executed. Too strong? Too bad. I'm tired of this crap. They are essentially destroying people's lives.

Guess what's going to happen when the SHTF here? A LOT of lawless people are going to find themselves taking a dirt nap.
  7. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

don't have a gun safe. :eek:

I have a lock room! If you can find it:D
    steel all the way around it.
  8. Thorisin

Thorisin New Member

I am not trying to stop the professional thief. For one no professional thief is going to hit my house as there are more enticing targets out there. What I am trying to do is to stop the knucklehead squad from hitting my house again. Just so you know, the dimwits couldn't bring a hand grinder and hit the hinges on a 25 year old, not top of the line safe. They had to TAKE the whole thing. I am sure it took them a couple of days to get into something that should have taken them minutes. So, what I would like to know is what kind of anchoring slots does the Liberty have.
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I have a Stack On safe and it has holes drilled for anchoring.
    I live in a 2nd story condo, and Lowes had NOTHING suitable for bolting it down. :(
  10. Thorisin

Thorisin New Member

As an additional question, what kind of archoring holes does the Cannon have? I am swinging back to the Cannon. Have to decide between the two

Thorisin
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Can't ya make yer own holes?

Where ya gonna anchor it, and to what?

Mine would require going thru 1-1/2" of carpet and at least 3/4" plywood. I wasn't about ta rip up 4 sq feet of carpet to find a stud for lag bolts. And no one makes any kinda 'toggle' style anchor that's near long enough.

Have ya tried contacting the makers of the safes yer interested in?

Worst case is ya drill yer own. How ya gonna anchor it? Can it even be done?
  12. geds

geds New Member

Locate the floor joists and anchor a plate to them. Then anchor the safe to the anchor plate under the safe. Simple, no mess, no tearing up carpet.

You need to realize that you are NOT making the safe theft proof. All you can do is make it more trouble for somebody to try and get it out. Anchoring it to the floor with the corner anchors in the safe will accomplish that.

Also, recognize that if you have a fire, the wooden floor you have it bolted to will burn and fail dropping the safe. You would do much better bolting it to a slab floor in a garage or basement (provided the basement will not flood or hold water in a fire). Do not bolt the safe to an outside wall in a garage as thieves have been known to punch a hole through the wall on either side, wrap a chain around it, and drag it out through the wall!
  13. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Most Liberty safes have four holes, and I believe a 1/2" bolt will fit through them.
  14. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

IMHO the best ways to make sure your guns are safe are:

1. have someone in your house who you trust with guns at all times. if your entire family is out of town for a while you should get someone you trust to "housesit" for you. but for day to day life this is where having lots of kids comes in handy. I know people who have enough kids who are old enough to handle guns that they are able to have someone guarding the house 24/7. "As arrows [are] in the hand of a mighty man; so [are] children of the youth. Happy [is] the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate." (Psalms 127:4-5)

2. know your neighbors! be on good terms with the people on each side of your house, including next door, across the street, and behind your property. make sure they know and recognize all of your vehicles and the vehicles of your friends and family members, and vice versa. let your neighbors know when you're going out of town, and make sure they tell you when they are too. give them names and descriptions of people who are authorized to access your property. be visible with your neighbors during the daytime; a criminal casing the joint will be much less likely to hit your area if he notices the populace interacts on a regular basis.
  15. DixieLandMan

DixieLandMan Member

Thorisin, the Liberty safes have holes already in them for bolting to the floor. When you open the safe, raise the bottom cover up and then you should be able to see the holes already cut out for you. Just cut away the carpet, padding and then secure your safe to the slab or foundation.