Safety Bullet

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by lead, Jan 22, 2009.

1. lead

lead Active Member

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

My 2c? Its a terrible idea. It may be all right for stored sporting and target guns, but for a self defence weapon the shooter has to remember to eject it first, failure to do so will result in facing a threat with a useless paperweight.
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

a much better solution would be to have the magna trigger system installed. ok not sure they are still in business. but the concept was a installation of a magnet in the gun that blocked the action ( revolvers only if i recall right) the user would have to wear a ring on his or her gun hand that countered the action of the magnet thus allowing for the gun to be functional.
  4. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I don't see anything safe about it.

1. No-go in revolvers.

2. A kid could just eject it and chamber a live round in a semi-auto.

3. You could save $25.00 and carry/maintain the weapon with empty chamber instead.

4. It may disable your weapon when you really need it.

5. The only real safety measure of a firearm is not answered by little gadgets; It is answered by 100% positive control at all times, either in the safe, rack, or your holster. All else is flirting with disaster.
  5. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I don't like the idea of anything that "disables" my PDW. I keep a round in the chamber of my P99 at all times and just keep it decocked. I've yet to have an accidental discharge. No safety device can make up for a lack of safe handling behaviors on the part of the owner.

Now in theory, it does seem like a good idea. If someone were to practice with it, it might have some merit to it. Cycling the slide to eject it and chamber a round wouldn't take any longer than me pulling my slide back 3/8" to cock my P99. I do however like the feeling of knowing that I can use my PDW just by pulling the trigger and dealing with the 11# trigger pull if need be.
  6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

A much bigger problem that guns being found by unsupervised and untrained children, serious though that is, was always gun snatchers. Twenty odd years ago a lot of police officers got shot with their own gun!

The magnetic ring never caught on because it meant an officer going onto the street with a locked gun. One that needed to reliably unlock at the right moment. You can see why that wasn't very popular.

Oddly I was working about fifteen or twenty years ago on this very subject. I even invented a jammer device, and had a patent but its long since expired. The idea was the gun worked just fine until the owner did something, which could be done from a distance and locked the action. I had meetings with some of your prison officers to discuss details. They felt it would be especially useful to them.

Ran out of money......
  7. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I like this in another application. I always worry about leaving my gun at home, which has to happen since I frequent a "Gun Free Zone" almost every time I go out. Sometimes my roommates leave the door unlocked which makes me particularly nervous. Much too poor for a safe, this could bring me a little more peace of mind... when the gun is sitting on the shelf in my room I could have one of these puppies loaded....
  8. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

LOL

"Do you have kids and a gun?"

Why yes, yes I do thanks for asking. I've taught them all the rules of gun safety. And they know not to TOUCH any gun, anywhere. And all of mine are locked up in a safe.

How absolutely retarded.
  9. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I guess my brother and I were weird in that we respected Dad's property, and his guns were HIS property.

Dad kept his guns unlocked, but hidden from outsiders. Our instructions were quite simple, "Do not touch!" I never handled any of Dad's guns, and I seriously doubt that brother did. Like I said, we were weird.
  10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

oddly enough when i came home with a gun i called my children to the living room showed them the new toy let them fondle it and then i told them i was putting it away. they never touched a gun of mine and i figured it's the curious snooping that would make a find " interesting " to them cuz lord knows they snooped. my wife played hell trying to explain her " toys" :eek::D but since i remove the thrill of finding the unknown they left my stuff alone.
  11. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I have the same train of thought every time my son's pediatrician asks this stupid question. If the Mossy Oak cap and NRA jacket didn't predicate my response then my dissertation to her won't help... :rolleyes:
  12. graehaven

graehaven Active Member

LOL, Pony, I hear ya. :D

I cannot believe they can even ask that question. Ridiculous.