Safety of carrying striker-fired pistols?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by snakebite12, May 12, 2011.

1. snakebite12

snakebite12 New Member

Lately I have been doing some research about striker fired pistols like the various Glock models or Springfield XD. From what I have read the Glock pistols are used by numerous military and law enforcement groups overseas. Yet the pistols are usually (more often than not) carried with a full magazine and empty chamber. Which is far different than how law enforcement and civilians often carry them here in the States. Most everyone I have met using striker fired pistols carries them with rounds in the magazine and chamber.

Anyway here are my questions about the subject. Is the accidental discharge rate high as what is often claimed with people carrying striker fired pistols? Are most of the problems occuring during the drawing of the weapon? And unless I misunderstood how the striker fired guns work the striker is like 70-80% cocked. Would that not cause the springs to wear quickly?

This is not intended to be a negative thread about striker fired guns. Just my wanting to know how safe they are or not.
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Most accidental discharge scenarios are the result of laziness and/or complacency. Carrying a modern striker fired gun with one in the chamber is no different than carrying a hammer fired 1911 "cocked and locked". The person using the gun must train and become proficient with its operation. A gun is a tool and that tool should be ready to use. The main safety for any tool is what is between the ears.
  3. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

The glock will NOT go off unless you pull the trigger, even if dropped.

It does not have an external safety (thank God).

http://www.famous-guns.com/safe-action/

This video does a good job of explaining too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7sJrZB4r_Q

Here's a thread discussing your question:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-321652.html

Just on a side note, I will NOT buy any gun that has an external safety ever. Glock and Kel-tec get it RIGHT. And of course, there's the wheel guns too.
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  4. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

I've always been very trigger conscious, and I doubt that I would ever have an AD, but still, I carry my Glocks with an empty chamber. Yes, they have the trigger safety, but I just don't trust the relatively light trigger pull during the draw.
    This doesn't keep me from preferring Glock. How long can it take to rack the slide? Say what you will. That's how I do it.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im a firm believer that the safety to ANY weapon in between your ears... SO my advice, regardless of stats based on the General Population, use the weapon youre most familiar with and comfortable using... And THINK.

I hate glocks, but only because they are plaztik, same goes for XDs, Sigmas, M&Ps, etc. I know alot of them are good weapons and utterly reliable but Its just me.

I have been carrying a full size 1911 in an IWB for a couple years, I carry condition 3 and thats how I train.
  6. Jay

Jay New Member

...and John Browning's 1911 that has been service for 100 years did NOT get it right?

For you, perhaps. I've been carrying 1911's of one brand or another for over 35 years, and never had an issue. But then, training to move my right thumb half an inch, and developing the muscle memory to do so every time I present the gun, doesn't strain me mentally.

It's all personal preference, but all opinions don't grow up to be facts.
  7. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

the 'danger' of a striker fired gun occures mostly upon holstering it. good trigger finger placement; pointed up and touching the slide--not straight and laying over the guns trigger guard---eliminates this from happening.

beyond that, it is personal preferance as to what works best for you.
    i would rather have a 1911 style gun unless i was in court. than id wish i had used a DA or DAO. carry what your local police or state police carry, even the same ammo, is the least expensive way to defend yourself in court.
  8. Boris

Boris Former Guest

In the military the pistol is a last ditch defense weapon for machinegun teams, PSG, or PL. You will know a looooong time before you will need to use it and loading it is of no factor. ND rates will be what they will be. Someone who will ND with a Glock would have had a ND with a 1911. I have seen fellas even holster cocked SA and DA revolvers. No gun is idiot proof.

Glocks are partialy cocked and the XDs are fully cocked. Springs do not wear out from being compressed. They wear out from being worked, as in fire, cock, fire, cock and so on.

I hope that answers your questions.

Since everyone else mentioned it, I have carried Glocks for almost two decades now and I have never once carried one in any condition other than C1.
  9. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Personally, I think the "trigger safety" concept is rediculous. Aside from malfunction, the trigger being pressed is the only way the gun is going to go off anyway, so putting the safety on the trigger that is going to be pressed just means the "safety" will be too.

That said, at an entergy site up north, an officer shot himself in the leg while holstering his weapon(not sure which one it was. It was likely a glock, but may have been a sig 226DAK.). Regardless which one it was, His finger had to have stayed in the trigger gaurd or he was very unlucky and the holster bent inside it. Either way, it was on the holstering of the weapon and it was hot as he had finished a string of fire without emptying the weapon.

And on a side note, I'll be carrying hot anytime I am carrying. You wont have time to charge it if you ever need it in the situation we carry for. For military or somewhere when you know you will be in situations where you will have time to prepare before use, that's fine, but if I have a gun, it's hot.
  10. snakebite12

snakebite12 New Member

If you pull the trigger on a 1911 with the safety enguaged the weapon does not fire. If you pull the trigger on the Glock it will fire. How are those not very different?

Just yesterday I managed to find an old article from the Washington Post that said in the 10 years since the D.C. police adopted the Glock a record 120 accidental discharges have been reported. Are that many people being so lazy and complacent? Today a friend with the KY. state police confirmed they have requested to switch from Glocks to Sigs for the same reason.
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  11. snakebite12

snakebite12 New Member

During a recent evaluation for a service pistol the DHS ruled out the Glock (in part) because they did manage to make the pistols fire when dropped on thier side.

Can't say I agree or disagree with the comments about manual safeties. need to spend more time with retention/disarm drills before offering view on the matter.
  12. Boris

Boris Former Guest

If they are so dumb and unpracticed with Glocks then adding the extra step to decock a SIG will make them even more dangerous. The finger needs to be pointed somewhere and once it reaches the top, the people responsible for proper training, well its just too easy for them to point the finger at Glock and make a press release.

Seattle police tried that. A week after the news made the report the slides were shooting off issue G22s, they corrected their earlier report and informed everyone it was wannabe armorers that damaged the slidelock spring that caused the failure.

There is no fix for dumb. However if you think a 1911 is more safe then skip the Glock and get a 1911. There are soooo many out there right now you can not go wrong with one. That and you think you will be more safe so you just might be........
  13. snakebite12

snakebite12 New Member

Have been giving a fair ammount of thought to buying something Da/Sa to carry. Maybe a Beretta Px4 or Fn Fnp-9. Also heard good things about the CZ P-07. Any advice on those?

The guns I currently own include a 1911, Hi-power, Taurus Pt-92 and CZ 75. Except for a couple of revolvers.
  14. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Of them guns, and this is just my opinion. I would go with the P-07
  15. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Dont know much about those guns, snakebite. Have you considered a Sig 226 or another of that line? They are good guns, as well.