Safety prblem on Colt Sauer

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by OneFatCat, Aug 30, 2009.

1. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

I have a Colt Sauer that I have hunted with over the year ..keep it relatively clean ...it has been in my gun cabnet since last hunting season when it worked fine ..I took it out to check it today and for some reason the safety has froze up and will not allow its sefly to go into the fire position ..any ideas before I take it into a gun smith ..am I just not holding my mouth right or something simple?

OFC

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I would make sure that it is empty of ammo (chamber and magazine). {No offense, but I have to say it.}

Then I would remove the barreled action (the rifle) from the stock. {It is usually held in by one or two screws from the bottom of the magazine floor-plate/ trigger guard assembly}

Having done the above, you can examine and the safety mechanism and its function (or failure thereof).

From what you describe, a strategically placed drop of oil might solve your problem.

Good luck.
  3. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

Thank you Hammer ...

OFC
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Pardon me,

But in the pic, the safty is in the fire position isn't it? (forward, red warning dot showing) I wonder if you cann't move the saftey because of this. It would not go into the safe position unless cocked. Could be the action is not staying cocked, i.e. the firing pin is fallowing the bolt down to the uncocked position as the bolt is closed.....not good either. Or did you forget to cock the action before trying to engage the safety? Worth a check...Regards, Kirk