SAI receiver stronger than forged LRB ?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jo'ab, Jan 14, 2009.

1. jo'ab

jo'ab New Member

The question was purposefully provocative but genuine. I'm relatively new to the m14 rifle but from what I've learned so far, the lrb forged receiver was chambered specifically for 7.62x51 and is generally not backward compatible with the .308 cartridge due to dimentional discrepancies between the two rounds, and the higher pressure of the .308 load. The springfield armory m1a receiver on the other hand, is chambered for the .308 round which IS compatible with the 7.62x51. Now my question is this...am I wrong to conclude that a cast SA receiver is potentially stronger than a forged LRB because of its ability to safely handle the higher pressure of the .308 round as well as its less-hot cousin, the 7.62 ? If not, why?
  2. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Welcome to the forum. Hope you have fun here.

I can tell you that you are correct in your assertion that SA is fine to shoot the 7.62 NATO or the .308 Win. I know this because a week ago I called them & spoke to Dawn, their dealer rep & asked her just that question. I've always shot both in my SA M1-A & had no problem.

I cannot tell you about the LRB in this regard. The allowable SAMMI pressures are higher with the .308-52,000 psi if I remember.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  3. jo'ab

jo'ab New Member

Thanks popgunner. I also got my info on the SA receiver from springfield. So does higher SAMMI pressure = stronger receiver ? From what I've been able to dig up, the LRB isn't chambered for .308. Wouldn't that make the SA stronger (regardless of whether it is forged or not) ? Any oldheads out there that can help me out before I waste money on a 'boutique' receiver...lol