sako 300 win mag chambering problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by m77user, Oct 17, 2012.

1. m77user

m77user Active Member

I have a friend who shoots a 300 win mag. It is a Sako do not know the model he bought new in the early 70's. We both reload and he has been shooting the same loads since it was new. It suddenly developed a problem with chambering. He has tried full length resizing and trimming to 2.610 to no avail. I have a set of small base dies for a BAR in 300 win. Even after full length sizing through the small base dies it would not chamber. After trimming his brass to a length of 2.603 the rifle will now chamber with slight pressure. Anyone have any ideas as to why all of a sudden this would occur? I suggested he take it to a gunsmith as I am not one. I :confused:do not feel like the brass should be trimmed that short. Thank you for your help.
  2. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Sounds like there is something happening with the chamber or bolt. Look at the extractor for damage and check the chamber, maybe carbon or possibly a fragment of case or jacketing in the chamber.
  3. Skipper

Skipper Member

It's common with belted cases. You might need a Belted Magnum
    Collet Resizing Die.

Scroll down the page here:

http://www.larrywillis.com/
  4. m77user

m77user Active Member

thank you. I will pass it on to my friend and he can proceed as he wishes. Thanks again.
  5. karbeer

karbeer New Member

I have searched for this and I found The term belted magnum refers to any caliber cartridge, generally rifles, using a shell casing with a pronounced "belt" around its base.

Note from a moderator Spam sigs will get you banned

update , your coming from one of the highest reported spam servers in the USA

your outta here

The IP Address is: 68.234.22.40
    The host name is: reverse.aeori.com

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2012