The Firearms Forum banner

Sako TRG-S .338 Lapua

6K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
Anybody got any experience with them?

I have a possible trade in the works. So might end up with one.

Dunno if I should be excited or frightened.

#3 ·
The one here in question is all but NIB, 200 rounds fired, and its fitted with one of milletts top of the line 56mm scopes. Its also got a good brake on it. I dont really fear the recoil. Ive shot worse. Im more scared of the high priced reloading components. I prolly wont shoot it much. But it would be cool to have THE big .338 for that one 'rainy day'

#4 ·
I was at a local range a few years ago and a guy set up next to me with one of the .338's topped with a huge Swazkorski(sp) scope and a chrono. Shooting at 100 yards. Looked odd, but he was just working up some loads and needed the chrono stats. Awesome set up. When he finished with that one, he brought out another one................They are amazing.

#6 ·
youre tellin me. One of the best rounds ever developed.. period. I have wanted one since I first learned about it. I just had always envisioned myself getting a savage 110BA, being the savage nut that I am. Maybe I could trade the Sako for one if i dont like the Sako.. :)

#9 ·
Technically. Yes. I have a Sako. Its an M39 sneak rifle made by Sako. But never a top notch Sako hunting rig.

#10 ·
E-X-C-I-T-E-D-! Go for it and please let us know if you acquire it and then post photos. You are one lucky feller. An opportunity like you have is extremely rare.

#11 ·
My experience/knowledge with them is only what I've seen in video games.
And they do make them seem pretty bad ass. It would want one just for the "awe" and "wow" factor of it. I say go for it. I doubt it will lose value either, just in case somehow you find something about it you don't like.

#12 · (Edited)
no real awe factor , just a well thought out and operable rifle thats pretty good outta the box , but made to last , you'll have these in 100 years unless your real rich and can shoot em like a .22

but with the ability to reach out and touch something ( terminally ) at 1200 - 1600meters if your up to it

#13 ·
I think the other guys are thinkin of the TRG-42 Jack. Thats a 4500 dollar rig!.. The one Im lookin at looks like a well made hunting rifle. Damn barrel is a good mile long too. I have a couple pics the guy sent me.

#20 ·
always thought the .338 was the magnum round by Lapua but just called lapua to seperate it from the others like norma etc ( which is a another magnum round )

not familiar with any .338 non magnum rounds in current rifles 50's yes but .308 killed most of that until they made it a magnum

#21 ·
yes .338 lapua and .338 lapua mag are the same round soundguy..

Jack I think you might have your pics mixed.. that rifle action screams rem 700.. ;) Cool rig none the less tho.

#25 ·
The .338 edge is a good round too. I aint shot one, but it was one of the odd curiosities Stuart was buying into back in the old days at the shop. It all started for him with the .300 Tejas. then it was the .338 edge, and then it was the .338 lapua, but he ultimately decided on the .338 SnipeTac.. That was around the time the shop closed (Last January) and I aint much seen him since. Im sure he had one built..

I am getting anxious to get my hands on the Sako. Were gona meet up the end of the month. Hes gonna drive up my way for something and were gonna try to meet somewhere between here and Hico.

I need it like I need a hole in the head.. But dang I WANT it. And the more I dig up on it the worse it gets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.