Sale of C&R rifle to a non-licensee

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by WRC, Dec 26, 2008.

1. WRC

WRC New Member

I have read on numerous sites it is OK or not OK to sell a C&R rifle from your collection.

Along with my paperwork received from the feds, a letter dated Jan 19, 2005 says "Licensed collectors are authorized to dispose or curios and relics to an FFL or a non-license residing in the same state, who is not otherwise prohibited by the GCA, and to an FFL in any state".

I have a rifle I'd like to get rid of. Any problems with that? What paperwork would need to be done?

Thanks for any help.
  2. pickenup

pickenup New Member

You did not say what state/city you are in, that could make a difference.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you are asking. Anything you pick up with a C&R, you can sell. As long as you are not buying them, to sell for profit. A C&R is for a collector, it is not a dealers license.

You treat any firearm you picked up with your C&R the same as you would any firearm without the C&R. The criteria is in your post. You can sell to anyone in your state, providing he/she be a "lawful" buyer. (depending on which state) Out of state, you need to send it to an FFL. (with a few exceptions)

As for what paperwork is needed, what are you comfortable with? You will somehow need to log it out of your bound book. A bill of sale w/DL# date, and all the information, etc. usually suffices for most people. Others require the buyer to go through NCIC check to make sure. If you live in a "semi" free state, you may find buyers that get a little miffed if an NCIC check is required by you.
  3. eka

eka New Member

You can sell your guns just like anyone else. As a C&R holder you are required to log the C&R firearms you acquire. When you sell something on your C&R log, you just log the date, name, and address. Same rules apply as in any other gun sale in your locality. Out of state sales have to go to a 01FFL or C&R. Hope that helps.

Keith
  4. WRC

WRC New Member

Is a form 4473 required to transfer the gun to a person who does not have a C&R license?
  5. eka

eka New Member

If you can legally complete a person to person sale in your area, you can sell that person a C&R from your collection without any forms or dealer contact. Just log it off your book. If it's going out of State, it will have to go through either a C&R licensee or an 01FFL. I hope I answered your question.

Keith
  6. WRC

WRC New Member

Thanks for the info.
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Let me see if I got this straight. If I had a C&R license, would I be able to order an SKS for example directly from a distributor without going through an FFL dealer?
  8. eka

eka New Member

With a C&R license, you can buy anything 50 or more years old or that is on the list of curio and relics as determined by the ATF. After providing the distributor with your license, they ship directly to you. You log it into your book. If and when you sell it, you log it off.

Keith
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have sold several of the C&R weapons that I bought over the years. When you buy one, you have to put it in your "bound book". When I sell one, I have a 4473 filled out and I list the sell on the same line in the "bound book". As it has been said, you are not allowed to make a business out of buying and selling the C&R weapons.

ROMT - to answer your question, YES, and as eka said anything 50 years old (original, not a reproduction).

For $30 every three years, It is the best money that I have ever invested!!