Sale value of P.08 Luger?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by counterpoint3, Jun 26, 2012.

1. counterpoint3

counterpoint3 New Member

I have a Simson/Suhl Luger in fair/good(?) condition; all matched parts including stamped number on clip; has holster and teardown key, both in good condition. Don't know year of manufacture, but looks similar to those around 1925. Holster stamped with, 'Franz Cobad,' Berlin, 1929. L. Hi. 162. Numerous Eagle 6 proof markings on gun. Captured by 5th Armored Div. during WWII (my father fought with them). Have seen values from $800 up for private sale, but also saw a similar gun in worse condition sell for $1,380 at auction. Are more details needed for general estimate of value for private sale? Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The holster is a police holster; military holsters were black and had a different strap setup.

After WWI, the Allied control commission named Simson as the only authorized maker of Luger pistols for the small German army and police, and Simson was given the Erfurt Luger machinery and tooling. (Poland got the rifle making machnery.)

The Simsons were Jewish and later the Nazis took over the factory and it was first merged with BSW then made a Nazi stiftung, an enterprise owned by the Nazi party with profits going to the party. The Nazis called it the Wilhelm Gustloff works.

Retail value on Lugers has taken a drop, and that one is not in the best condition, but I would WAG it at $1800, plus $250 for the holster. Let's see what others say.

Jim
  3. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

This appears to be a military issued Simson, many of which were reworked, and such examples are found with DWM toggles. However this one has a Simson & Co. marked toggle, so it is not a rework. Being all matching with a matching magazine, the value could well exceed $4000 in top condition. It is difficult to judge the condition of this Simson, but I would estimate somewhere around 85% original finish, and I would place a value on it of about $2600, and as Jim says, add another $250 for the holster. I can't make out any markings on the tool, but with the right markings it could be worth as much as $300 alone. Without markings, figure about $30.
  4. counterpoint3

counterpoint3 New Member

Thank you very much Jim K and "wonderwhippet" for your replies. That information is very helpful. I appreciate it.