Sam Bass Centennial 1860 Colt

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by tractom, Aug 26, 2006.

1. tractom

tractom New Member

:confused: Can someone help me identify this gun and establish its' worth. I was given this and can't find any info on the net.

I was told it is a repro of an 1860 Colt Army .44 and produced in a limited release Sam Bass edition.

The barrel has the following:
    left side---Round Rock Texas
    Top of barrel-- Sam Bass Centennial 1878-1978
    Right side--.44 cal for black powder only made in Italy
    Under side serial number is---SB096

According to the book that came with it, the gun was a commemorative edition and only 250 were produced. I am assuming this is #96 based on serial number. It is in a presentation box and came with the accessories as well.
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Tractom,

This post will probably be moved to 'Ask the experts/Whats it worth forum'.

The smart smart gun guys hang out there and can help you out with value and history of this piece.

Good Luck!
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Tractom......welcome to TFF.

Can't tell you much about this one.....do you happen to know what organization or company sponsored this Commemorative?

First off, I can tell you that this a modern replica of a Colt M1860, probably made by either Uberti or Armi San Marco, in Italy.

Reproduction commemoratives such as yours really don't command much value.....they have a very limited market. If it were a genuine Colt, that would be a different story....but even then, collecting commemoratives and expecting them to increase in value over time is pretty much a crap shoot.

My guesstimate on it's value.....if it's got some nice engraving, new and never been shot, maybe about $200-250.
  4. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

Decades ago, don't remember exactly when, some local organization had maybe 50 of these made and sold. It commemorated the centennial, or some such thing of Sammy Bass's demise on the streets of Round Rock, Texas. Old Sammy lies today in the cemetery just west of I-35 on Sam Bass Road.

I've been in R.R. for close to 30 years and never seen one,

Ain't worth much!
  5. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

My initals still painted on that rock or did it finally get washed of it`s pedistal with my initials, done some ankle wadin to place them there bout 35 years ago---lol..................it was a backroad then, at best, beer drinkin in cool water.

LTS
  6. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

The old rock has been chipped by souvenir seekers, painted by school rivals and vandals to the extent it doesn't look the same. The roads 'bout the same tho!
  7. Texas Infidel

Texas Infidel New Member

tractom, if you are still around......

The info you have received so far is correct. The guns were sponsored by the Sam Bass Assoc. I think. Round Rock had what they call Sam Bass Days back then. I think it has been changed to Old Settlers Days or something like that. There was a parade downtown and a re-enactment of the shooting two or three times during the day.

The guns were pre-sold before they ordered them that's why there were only 250 made. I think they sold for around $125 or so. Not much though. I bought two at the time and later sold one to a friend and the other I sold at a pawn shop when I was short of cash.

If you still have the gun let me know and I'll see if I can find out what else there is to know about them.
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

He only made one post almost five years ago. I kinda doubt he's till around.
  9. Texas Infidel

Texas Infidel New Member

Thanks Hawg, I suspected that would be the case but thought he might get it.
  10. RancheroMade

RancheroMade New Member

I've actually been looking for one of these. If anyone knows where I can buy one please let me know. I'm a huge Sam Bass fan and this centinneal signature series would be great in my collection. Any advice on where to get one would be greatly appreciated. Thx
  11. Leodee

Leodee New Member

Well, I'm a little late to this conversation, but I just found ya'll while I was researching a gen-u-ine 1860 Army .44 cal Sam Bass Centennial Round Rock Commemorative, ser. # SB080 (# 80 of 250 manufactured), black powder six shooter made in 1978 (code AD) by Armi Sao Paolo S.r.l., founders Grassi, Doninelli, and Gazzola (DGG), which became Euroarms Italia, S.r.l., in December, 2001. Their black powder guns are distributed by Euroarms of America through Dixie Gun Works, Cabelas, and Navy Arms.

RancheroMade, if you are still looking to purchase one of these, I can let the owner know in the near future and help you two to hook up. Reply through this forum if you're still around and interested, and we'll figure out a way to communicate more securely.

Thanks to all who responded to the initial inquiry. It helped me to fill in some blanks and complete my research.

Leodee
  12. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Pedersoli bought out Euroarms a couple of years ago. AFAIK Cabela's never sold any ASP/Euroarms revolvers. They mainly sell Pietta and a few Uberti's.