same old question!

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by Zigzag2, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

underdog75
    (12/5/02 2:28:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All same old question!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Can one legally use 20,30,or 40 round magazines in a post ban AR rifle?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/5/02 3:06:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: same old question!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, provided your state & local laws haven't added
    their own restrictions against it!

Welcome Aboard TFF underdog75!

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/5/02 3:14:09 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: same old question!
    .....ah, if your state has no restrictions...you can stuff a drum in it too.

WELCOME!!

LTS

underdog75
    (12/5/02 11:51:34 pm)
    Thanks guys, where would be a good place to check my local state laws on such a thing?I live in Virginia,which is a pretty good state as far as gun laws go, but would like to be 100% sure thanks agian

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/6/02 2:36:35 am)
    welcome aboard, underdog!

this may sound kinda stupid ... but here's what i did ...
    - call the cops and ask them. let them know up front that you're not a lawyer, just asking their opinion on firearm laws and info on where to find the laws
    - your state probably has a dept of justice ... they should have a website. they'll probably be the ultimate say
    - ask gun shops
    - ask more gun shops
    - go to a range and ask them ... as well as people with similar weapons
    - do many many searches on Google
    - someone wrote a book called "how to own a gun in CA and stay out of jail" ... maybe there's one like that in your state??

chris in sandy eggo, prk

underdog75
    (12/6/02 3:41:01 am)
    Ask the cops? or the ATF or whom?Ive asked every gunshop in the area and the main answers i get is this "Im not sure,so i wouldn't do it if i were you"I need to talk to the end all be all of it.Ill call Brady and clinton if need be im just tried of the run around.Im mean youd thing a gun shop would know, if i ran one id sure as crap find out so i didnt sell any thing illegal you know!Ive seen clearly postban rifles on shelves with 30 rounders in the mag well and when i ask "is it legel to use in a postban?" they say "I dont know,that is just there for display perposes" I dont think Mr. ATF will take that as and answer

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/7/02 12:28:03 am)
    hi Underdog75,

huh... yeah kinda frustrating when folks running gun shops don't care much about the law. *i* am pretty sure that in the federal sense, it's ok to have a 30 round mag in any gun. the pre/post ban thing is the 1994 crime law and applies to assault weapon features. you can learn a lot about that at the federal level by searching the net.

what's more tricky if finding the city/county/state stuff. i'm pretty up on the current PRK state level stuff and have no hesitation putting a 30 round mag manufactured/imported into the USA before 1994, but purchased by me before the end of 1999 in my post ban, bought in prk before the end of 1999, registered with the PRK DOJ AR "clone". (phew, that's a statement!)

sooooo, i'd seriously talk to the cops. if they don't know ask the question: who would? their supervisor or watch commander? would they know or tell you who they can call? like i said, here in PRK, it's the Atty General / dept of justice / firearms division. (that's for the state level)

sheriff's offices will typically be up on city or county laws, too. for example, the city of North Las Vegas has some laws that are more strict than the PRK, while Las Vegas (from what i understand / heard) lets you carry about anything as long as it's in the open. (i still can't really believe that, even though i saw a civillian with a holstered pistol)

chris in sandy eggo, where handguns need to be locked away

underdog75
    (12/7/02 4:07:59 pm)
    Thanks agian guys, I did an unoffical poll and heres what i found. 1.Asked 3 shops within 45mins of me(they all advertise as "specializing"in AR weapons) Two said yes its legal as long as i dont modify the rifle or mags,One said no its not legal.????? 2.Asked about 10 people who own AR rifles..6 said "i dont know" 2 said "dont worry about it,just do it anyway" and 2 said "why should care I have a preban rifle"LOL 3. Called 2 manufactures..1 (Rock river arms) said no its not legal unless im a cop. 1 (bushmaster) said yes its legal so WTF! monday I'm calling my local ATF office!

wsmc667
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/8/02 12:32:21 am)
    oh, i forgot to add that the PRK has essentially banned all magazines of greater than 10 round capacity. rifles, pistols, anything. sooooo, in order to have one of them, you must have possessed it before the end of 1999. as with the assault weapons, if you own one, that's it. if you want to be rid of it, it leaves the state or goes to law enforcement. civillians are not allowed to transfer them (>10 round mags or AW's).

BUT, i believe that 30 round mags (and high cap drums) may have also been banned by the federal 1994 crime law... so those are legal if they were in the country before then. this one shouldn't be an issue for non-PRK folks unless their state also has some goofy ban on high cap mags.

i'm no lawyer and there sure are a lot of laws... so the best thing to do is keep asking LEOs and ATF about it all.

chris in sandy eggo

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/10/02 3:40:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: same old question!
    Doesn't your state have all the laws on the State website? That is where I go for laws in SD.