San Diego PD to use LARD on crowds

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by 45nut, Sep 16, 2009.

1. 45nut

45nut Active Member

Article here

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego County Sheriff's Department Tuesday responded to 10News' report about a new sonic weapon known as a Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD.

The technology has been used in Iraq to control insurgents, and now it is in the sheriff's department's possession.

With some people concerned over whether the LRAD would be dangerous and if it would be used the way it is in war zones, 10News contacted the sheriff's department for their take.

The device was originally made to be used for war, and it emits high-pitched sounds as a form crowd control.

On Monday, members of the American Civil Liberties Union spoke with 10News, and they expressed outrage that local law enforcement had the device and that they had brought it to recent town hall meetings in case things got out of hand.

Kevin Keenan, of the ACLU, said, "We think that local law enforcement shouldn't be using military style weaponry like that."

On Tuesday, Ed Musgrove of the sheriff's department told 10News the device was only being used for good, like helping search-and-rescue teams and warning residents during fires or floods.

"So, it will never be used in San Diego as a weapon?" asked 10News' Ariana Duarte.

"No, not by the Sheriff's Department, no," said Musgrove.

"And that's a guarantee?"

"Yes."

San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore was recently quoted saying the LRAD was purchased for events "should there be any problems." He also added, "We could use the LRAD in place of pepper spray."

Duarte asked the sheriff's department about the comment and they said it was probably a poor choice of words and insisted that the device was only here to help.

"If the issue was getting the message out to people that need to hear it, then this is the device to do it," said Musgrove.

"So, is it used to startle them?" asked Duarte.

"No."

"Then how is it comparable to pepper spray?"

"I don't know that I would make that comparison."

The LRAD cost the sheriff's department $27,000, and it was paid for with money from a 2007 Homeland Security grant.

Great, what moron thinks this is a good idea?
  2. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Not me, I hate californy, Alsways makin things difficult.
  3. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

Weapons like these have been in development for years, the French have "cooked" quite a number of their own people with them.
    I don't know how they would be used to find missing people unless they scream when irradiated but.......
    Two types, one emits high frequency high volume sound, which causes the sudden urge to 1) puke
    2) wet oneself
    3) crap oneself
    4) get the hell away from the pain

The second uses microwaves which heat the surface of the skin without cooking your innards as well. Kinda like a microwave with the door off.
    The urge remains the same, Leaving now, right now.

Interestingly enough, buildings can be shaken apart by using very low frequencies (2-3hz)at high volume, which has also been developed and refined.
    Big Brother has new toys.
  4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Oh nice, area of effect crowd control weapons. And a PD gets one right around the time that millions march in protests all across the country, including DC. Nice timing. I'd say it's coincidence, excpet that I don't believe in coincidence:rolleyes: Looks like Barry's forthcoming national defense force will have a way of dispersing "disruptive" protests.:rolleyes:
  5. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

I misred the post. I thought they were going to use LARD. How they were going to get the perps to set still and be greased was beyond me. Oh, well.
  6. 45nut

45nut Active Member

It should have stated LRAD, not LARD. :D :D

Sorry about the typo, but it is kinda funny
  7. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop New Member

Well, if they were using LARD (or just plane lard) it damn sure would get rid of the Muslims.
  8. OBrien

OBrien New Member

I think that would be considered chemical warfare but I like it.
  9. dge479

dge479 New Member

Me too:rolleyes:
  10. artabr

artabr New Member

Oops. :D :D :D
    That worked out well. :eek: :p ;) :D :D :D

Art
  11. muddober

muddober Active Member

Weapon technology like LRAD makes one have to wonder what the founding fathers had in mind with the totality of the last phrase of the second amendment; "the right of the people to bear arms shall not be infringed." Was it contemplated that the "people" were only ever be allowed to own a single shot flint lock, while new technology in government weaponry could go unchecked essentially leaving the people with nothing more than sticks and stones by comparison to protect themselves from a self serving tyrannous government? I am not suggesting that just anybody can own a nuclear bomb, however crowd control type weapons like LRAD should never be owned by any government who's people have a right to assembly like we do, much less use it against us. The temptation by the government to use such weapons is far to great. All one has to see is a K9 officer allowing his dog to bite a suspect even though the suspect had surrendered. I saw a flagrant example of that just the other night on TV. The other example was the military tanks with flame throwers used against and resulted in murdering 85 men women and children at Waco. Our government in my opinion has been getting out of line with our citizens for sometime now and things like LRAD being owned by local police tells me like abuses are only going to get worse.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  12. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

As always, it is not about the weapon it is about control, government control. I don't think we need to be controlled. I think we need to be respected. This government has taken too much liberty to do whatever they want without any regard to a little document called the constitution or the American people.

This government is in great need of downsizing. They have overstepped their bounds too many times in the name of safety.