Sar 48 Match Questions

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Willie, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Willie

Willie Active Member

I just got a Springfield armory sar 48-match rifle in perfect condition. It says 7.62mm on the side. I called springfield and they said date of manufacture was 12/22/87 and this gun was imported from Brazil. They said Imbel was the exporter. Do they still exist? Springfield also said the caliber is 308. Why does it say 7.62 on the side? I can't find anything about this gun-blue book does'nt address the match model.any idea of value and if this gun is rare or not?
    thanks
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hi Willie and welcome to TFF. Can't be much help on the weapon or value, however 7.62mm is the metric version of the U.S. .308 inch. The full nomenclature is 7.62mm (caliber) x 51mm (case length). In the U.S. we call it the .308. Chamber is very minutely different becasue it is a designated NATO round. However you can fire .308 in it with no problem. Hope this helps and I'm sure one of our experts out there will help answer your other questions. Glad to see you jump right in an keep on posting!
  3. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welcome Wille!... this is the elusive one that I have sought after for awhile now!...Value is between $1300.00 and $1500.00 or however bad ya want it...I'm still waitin' for less than $1300.00...

Attached Files:

4. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

welcome to the forum

springfield made sar 4800 in several versions ,a folding stock and bayo could fetch as much as 2,500.00

very vice weapon
  5. Willie

Willie Active Member

Thanks for the welcome and the imfo on the sar. I got it at a pawn shop(really) and bought it for $ 1,040 out the door. I had a couple of people look at it and they said it did'nt appear to have been fired at all. I ran a box of shells yesterday and really liked it. I need to find a book on it so i can clean it properly.
    Anyway , It sounds like I got a deal from what you all say about value. thanks again.