Sarah's Under the Microscope

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by pinecone70, Feb 5, 2010.

1. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Now look what they've found:

Records: Palin cabins not noted in Alaska tax assessments
    By Rachel D'oro
    Associated Press
    Updated: 02/04/2010 11:19:03 PM CST

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Records show that Sarah Palin hasn't paid any property taxes on cabins that have been built on two backcountry plots partially owned by the former Alaska governor.

There are no tax assessments for the two-story, house-sized cabins, a workshop and a sauna spotted Thursday in an aerial survey. Property taxes totaling $156.13 were paid on the land in 2009 — but that bill did not include anything for the structures because the local assessor didn't know about the new construction nearly 100 miles north of Anchorage.

The issue has attracted the attention of local tax officials who conducted the scheduled aerial survey of properties in the area on Thursday. The area is accessible only by floatplane, snowmobile or four-wheeler.

Dave Dunivan, the assessor for the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, said such a survey had not been done there in five years, before construction started on the cabins.

Palin's attorney, Thomas Van Flein, said it is not the responsibility of property owners to report structures that go up on their land.

"It is the borough's job," he said in an e-mail. "The property taxes on this parcel are fully paid and have never been delinquent."

Dunivan, however, said owners are required by state law to report any omissions or errors in their tax assessments. Often, the borough learns of new structures in remote areas when neighbors report them. Dunivan said no one has called the borough on the Palin lots, among many in the region to add structures, the flyover survey found.

"Typically, if there are errors, we hear from owners," he said. "If there are omissions, we don't. Every once in a while we do have someone call us about omissions, but not often."

The properties are located along Safari Lake — an undeveloped area located near Denali State Park — and owned by Palin, her husband Todd and a family friend, Scott Richter. According to borough records, the tax assessments are sent to Richter's post office box in Big Lake.

There is no phone listing in Alaska for Richter and he could not be reached Thursday.

The matter first appeared Wednesday on an Alaska political blog site, Mudflats, which has been critical of Palin, the 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate. Palin resigned as governor last summer and has since written a best-selling memoir. She signed on as a Fox News commentator last month.

"This is another blatant attempt to manufacture a story about the Palins following more defamatory swipes," Palin's spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Dunivan said a photo of a large cabin posted on the Mudflats site — and later reported on the Huffington Post Web site — is one of the structures spotted in the flyover.

Van Flein said work is still being done on the cabins, but both are usable. He said construction began on one of the cabins in 2006, but he didn't know when construction started on the second one.

The two parcels of land, separated by one lot, total 25 acres and had a combined value of $30,000 in 2007 through 2009, according to assessment records. Dunivan said the data collected in Thursday's survey will be calculated into 2010 assessment notices being mailed out at the end of the month.

It's too soon to estimate how much the structures will increase the taxes due, Dunivan said.

The cabins are the size of large homes rather than the average backcountry cabin, but square footage estimates were not immediately available.

Local real estate broker, Claus Steigler, said most cabins in the area are closer to the 500-square-foot range. Because they are in a hard to reach area, they generally sell for only $40,000 to $60,000, including the land.

One large log cabin reachable by road is listed at $229,000, but it's still on the market after two years, Steigler said.
  2. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Gee, one would think that the brightest star of the 'new movement' would have a better handle on the "p's & q's" of living in the public spotlight. Sigh...
  3. navis128

navis128 New Member

Poor woman...it's never going to stop for her. Vile people

So...I'm just wondering here...Geitner, oh crap I can't think of all of them...but they didn't pay IRS tax to the fed gov't...I don't think it camparable.
  4. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I don't know Alaskan law but their attorney said it wasn't their responsibility to report it would anyone here report it if they weren't required to? Please tax me, right. Geithner on the other hand had a piece of paper telling him it was declarable income and required by law and he chose to not declare it and to commit fraud. Big difference. And now he is in charge of the economy and good loyal Obama cabinet officer.
  5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Ms Navis, on one level, I totally agree. It's not a huge dollar amount, but might it show a tendency of carelessness on her behalf?

I remember deriding other pols that Obama selected for cabinet positions for not being an example of what 'is right' or of showing 'how to behave'.

After the crucible of the national elections, surely she understands that large aspects of her life are no longer 'off limits'. Like it or not, the bigger the stage, the deeper the scruitny of those in the national spotlight.

These chosen few are supposed to be the 'best and the brightest', for they lead the 'best and brightest' country in the world. We do our country no favors, if we issue a 'pass' on ANY of 'em, simply because "other's were guilty of similar offenses''.
  6. navis128

navis128 New Member

I wonder when history is written about this time in our country...I wonder if the truth will finally come out?

One of the most debased, dishonest admins I've ever witnessed...Nixon did nothing so traitorous to us.
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

This story reminded me that I needed to contact my own dufus assessor, as he attempted to blow the whistle on me and get me into trouble for fraudulently homesteading two properties, which is not the truth in any form....

Of course, the dude's e-mail doesn't work and was bounced back to me, so now I will have to do some detective work and find one that does go through. GAH.

My thread, my drift....;)
  8. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Dave Dunivan, the assessor for the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, said owners are required by state law to report any omissions or errors in their tax assessments. KTUU Anchorage, AK
  9. navis128

navis128 New Member

MrKirker...supposed to be the "best and the brightest". I see no where in our Constitution a requirement of higher education or for that matter a specific measureable IQ test. There is one for the Pres to be a citizen, though.

I'm just sayin'...maybe they should get that log out of their eye before they try to take the splinter out of their brothers.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

And their attorney said they weren't so thats why they have a court system. It could be lawyer speak or it could be just another local official with his head in a dark place. We'll see.
  11. navis128

navis128 New Member

Think he's got a facebook or myspace?

You should animate Hello Kitty and send him a note.:D
  12. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Heh. Tempting....
  13. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

ms navis, you may be a constitutional scholar, I certainly am not, however the phrase 'best and the brightest' has nothing directly to do with either education or IQ. It has been used for years to indicate a level of individual who exibit both above average moral rectitude and common sense.

A large part of what's "not right" about our country and the direction it has taken, is the fault of far too many voters, who have forgotten that those who lead, should not only be leaders, but examples for those whom they lead.
  14. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I became eligible to vote (21 then) in 1968 and proudly voted for Nixon twice. His oposition was Humphrey/Muskie in 68 and McGovern/Shriver in 72 what choices were there?

Read the "Autobiography of G Gordon Liddy", it's an interesting read.
  15. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT New Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    It dumbfounds me how the left tries to Demonize Sarah....:eek:

She must really make them shake in their boots.... :rolleyes:

Probably a great time to buy some Tums stock.....:D
  16. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Sounds to me like the cabins are not even completed yet. It's not uncommon to take several years to build in a place like that. Just getting material to the site can be a timely act of patience. If the structures are not complete, they may not be required to be 'reported' until they are. If she is in the wrong, then she should own up to it and I'm sure she will pay any fines etc. on the structure, but at least she has paid the assesed taxes on the existing property. Also, it's not like this is a hotel or something. She is not gaining any income from these structures.
    Hardly comparable to our Sect. of US Treasury not reporting $250K of rental income. Poor guy, it was an honest mistake....:rolleyes:
  17. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Might I suggest as well -

Stephen Ambrose, "Nixon: The Triumph of a Politician, 1962-1972". Simon & Schuster.

It is extensively researched, and illustrated.
  18. navis128

navis128 New Member

mrkirker sir....

Well there ya go!:rolleyes:
  19. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

It appears that Ms D'Oro has a hardon for Ms. Palin.

http://nrinstitute.org/mediamalpractice/?p=279

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/05/palin-resignation-costs-a_n_278116.html

Why is the left so intent on trying to destroy Sarah Palin?
    They turn a blind eye to all the criminals in the current adminstration, and instead, focus all their time and hatred trying to dig up dirt on Ms Palin (and her family).

Why?

I'll reserve my judgement until we get more accurate information.

If in fact she is wrong (we'll see), and pays up, will she get a pass like Timmy (Awe shucks, it was an honest mistake) Geithner?

Heck NO.

So why is she a target?
  20. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

She is one of the 'targets' because she is a member of the out-of-office party. It's the same when our party is in office, we tend to discredit the 'loyal opposition' at every opportunity. Nothing new, here.