Sauce for Grilled Burgers

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Shooter45, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

It's almost Spring and time to fire up the grill. There is nothing better that a big thick burger cooked on the grill. Here is a sauce I made when I had my restaurant in Florida. This makes a lot but can be put into pint jars and put in the fridge for later use. Or just make a smaller amount.

1 Large ( 115oz) Ketchup

2/3 cup yellow Mustard

1 cup sweet pickle relish

1 1/3 oz salt

1 pinch Ground Ginger

2 Tsp Liquid Smoke

Mix all ingredients and brush on burgers after removing them from the grill.

Enjoy. :)
  2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

What the heck is liquid smoke?
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Martin, mostly it is condensation that is made while burning wood then bottled. I believe some companies somehow pass the smoke through some type of water chamber...

Thanks for the recipe Sam.

Crpdeth
  4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Thanks, I will try it out, but have to think of a substitute for liquid smoke. Unless I can get daughter to send me a bottle?
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

You may enjoy the flavor of soaking some fruit wood in water for several hours before you plan to grill, then just as you are putting the burgers on, drop the soaked wood on the coals... You'll get a nice smoke flavor that way.

Or just put them dudes in an off set smoker. :D

Crpdeth
  6. Another possibility, Donny, is to use the whiskey barrel oak chips that are offered by Jack Daniels. Apparently, they grind up old oak barrels that have been used to age bourbon and sell them by the bag. I've used them a number of times and they impart a TREMENDOUS flavor to anything you BBQ, but especially to steaks. They work best if using a charcoal grill, but it is possible to use them with a gas grill. First, you soak the chips in water for several hours. When you get ready to put the meat on the grill, scatter in a few of the chips onto the charcoal. They produce a very pleasant-smelling smoke that imparts a distinctive smoky flavor to the meat.

Martin, you probably can't get these in Britain, but I can send you a bag if you would like to try them. :D