Savage 110 feed problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gcrmcc, Jul 24, 2009.

1. gcrmcc

gcrmcc New Member

I purchased a used Savage 110, synthetic stock chambered in 7mm rem magnum. The rifle was exceptionally clean. I finally got to go to the range the other day. It has feeding problems so I sighted in as a single shot. One round may feed o.k. the next jumps out and over the barrel the next one may start in the chamber but jumps out at the back and ride over the bolt. It is an internal blind magazine and loads from the top. I assume the mag box lips are messed up but it looks good. Any ideas?

Thanks
    gcrmcc
  2. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I had a similiar problem with my Savage 110 .243. I adjusted the lips at the top of the internal magazine with a pair of pliers until I got it right. Bend a little, try it....Bend a little, try it.....Bend a little, try it......etc. You will eventually fix the problem.
    Now mine works perfectly, and I have not had another problem after I adjusted it the lips.
  3. gcrmcc

gcrmcc New Member

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one with this problem! I did not mess with lips yet, what I did do was bend the follower spring to a very soft state or made it very weak. They quit jumping up over the bolt and quit climbing over the barrel. It is a lot better now but not perfect, Guess I'll try bending the lips next and experimenting that way, Maybe I'll get it with a little time. Thanks for the help!

gcrmcc

4. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I have a 22.250 savage and it always feeds "right" but sometimes it does seem weird in the process. But it depends on what kinds of bullets I'm using. I "fixed" the problem by singly feeding the bullets when I want real accuracy. Otherwise it tends to be a bit rough on the meplats on the fragile hollow point varmint bullets and accuracy suffers quite a bit. Not that this solution will really help you being that you probably want to take it in the field and hunt with it, but I wanted to let you know that I'm also having problems with one. But singly fed she has made more than one one-hole groups. So for now, I'll just singly feed it.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009