Savage 116, which one is it?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Zane71464, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I picked up a Savage model 116 stainless yesterday, serial# F713xxx and I have looked in (what books i have) and cannot figure which model 116 it is, as there are several model 116's? I'm thinking it was mfg. in 1999 but it was new and still hanging around. It has the wooden checkered stock and is stainless. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. BTW, it's in 30-06 cal. with a 22" barrel.

Attached Files:

• A.jpg
      A.jpg
      File size:
      59.6 KB
      Views:
    • B.jpg
      B.jpg
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Zane, nice gun, you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. .30-06 is a good choice of caliber. You didn't mention whether it has an internal box magazine, hinged floorplate or a removable box magazine. Is it a pre-accutrigger job? That barrel look like it might be a heavy aftermarket "Target" version. None of today's Savage 16's or 116's seem to have wood stocks on them. Everything is composite today.

I have a 116 FSS in 7mm Rem. Mag. that is a REAL tack driver. It came with a fairly inexpensive factory mounted scope on it, but it really does a great job. I put a nice aftermarket laminated wood stock on it with a Harris bipod and it is pleasure to shoot.

ETA: Yours could be an older Model 116 FHSAK when they offered a wood stock option.

Here's a pic. of mine:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  3. Zane71464

Thanks Snakedriver, this one has the internal box magizine and does have the accutrigger in it. And what throws me off, is that your right, seems they come with the comosite stock and when I saw this rifle a week or so ago, that's what the owner said it was. And even when I went to look at it and he handed it to me, he said it was composite...it's not.
    And that's what I was thinking also about the barrel being a "target" barrel of sorts? The 110 I have in 7mm REM MAG has the regular barrel on it like yours, but blued...so, I'm totally confused as they are listed in the blue book, with the info there, the one I have just isnt there at all! The Rifle it'self was a bit "dirty" from like sitting a while, still had the tags on the rifle as they came new. I asked they guy 3 times if he was sure this was new as in never used, and he said it was in his shop since they opened and it was never used...I would assume I could believe him as Ive done business with him on different occasions. Just cant find this one in the book, listed, so you may be right and maybe someone did do some "things" with this rifle.

And that is a NICE rifle you have there Snakedrive! I love that laminated wood stock on yours...very nice! (I love the stainless) I'm happy to hear yours is a good shooting rifle, the 110 that I have does a good job putting groups a ways out there. Cant wait to get the 116 set up and see what goes with it. Ive been looking for an 06 for some time now, and glad I happened upon a Savage...thinking better then a Rem 700....did I just say that!!!:D
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Zane, I was posting an edit to my first response at the same time you were posting, so I don't know if you saw what I said.

Yours could be an older Model 116 FHSAK back when they offered a wood stock option. The barrel looks thicker that normal. Is that true or just an optical illusion in the photo? I'm not sure Savage ever offered a heavy barreled model. That would be a sure sign of an aftermarket barrel, which may not be a bad thing.

Mine shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yards with heavy bullets. Try some 150, 160 or 175's. If yours does as good as mine, I know you'll be thrilled. :cool:
  5. Zane71464

Ah, okay...Well that could very well be and sounds to be right with 166 FHSAK? Actually, tha barrel on it at the muzzel is about right but, it's like a tappered barrel of sorts...it's no illusion, it's like that in real. I had it out last night cleaning and had my 110 out with it, and it is made different. And the stock it'self is like wider then the one on my 110, it's actually bulky! What I can do, for comparision is to take a pic of the 110 and the 116 side by side and you'll be able to see the differance in the two. (really got me thinking again now, whish is a good thing) And you may be right about the aftermarket barrel on it...I'll get both out and re-look...:confused:, it was EARLY this morning when I was doing the comparision.

And yours shooting 3/4" groups@100yds with heavy loads....man! (look over my excitement here).....that's awesome!!!!!:)
  6. Zane71464

I know there is a differance between the 110 and the 116, but with standard Savage barrels, I wouldnt think there would be that much of a diff. Here are the two side by side for comparison: (look over my pic taking...not so good)

Attached Files:

• A.jpg
      A.jpg
      File size:
      203.5 KB
      Views:
    • B.jpg
      B.jpg
      File size:
      172.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Zane71464

EDIT: This does not have the accutrigger, but an adjustable trigger...my mistake.
  8. Zane71464

Not sure what this means, but in front of the reciever on the top of the barrel is stamped SP6 ???

Attached Files:

9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I don't see the "SP6" but I do see 30-06 SPRG (Springfield)

Pops

OOOOOPS, now I see it. Upper right corner in the little gold spot. Sorry 'bout that.
  10. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

For what it is worth, I've found over the years that the 30-06 generally is most accurate with the 168 to 189 grain bullets, boat tail. I've always loaded the Sierra 180 boattail and been very happy with them.

Pops
  11. Zane71464

Me and the camera hasnt been getting along the past few days..Just cant seem to get the lighting right or something?:eek:
  12. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Lighting is always tough, and especially so on stainless. I've found that reflecting light onto the piece with a piece of aluminum foil or such is better than having the light shine directly on the metal. I have a set of the car windshield covers, round, black on one side and shiny on the other that I use for reflectors or shades. Cheap and effective.

Pops
  13. Zane71464

Thanks for the heads-up Pops. I was thinking about, with factory ammo, trying the 150gr Rem. Core-Lokt and was going to buy a box or two, but maybe the 180grs. would be a better way to start? With factory ammo in my area, they are limited as to their selection. Unless ordered.
  14. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I'm not very familiar with factory ammo, as I've reloaded since 1948. However, I do know the 06 was designed and intended to be used with 172 to 178 grin solids and 168gr AP. We played around with many loads in the 50s and found that the 180 was the best for accuracy in most rifles. I shot 1000 yard competition with that load and made a number of grown men cry at being beaten by a not-yet teen ager. :D

Pops
  15. Zane71464

Wow, That's some good shooting there with an 06! I havent done much in the way of looking up the trajectories of the 30-06, but I was thinking that the lighter 150gr. would be more accurate than a heavier load. But reading with what knowledge you just passed along, I was way off base with my "thinking". I do appreciate the info!