Savage 116, which one is it?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Zane71464, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Mine's a pre-accutrigger model too and it's a smooth as silk breaking crisply at 3 lbs.. Probably the best trigger I have. If you ever want to adjust yours, I have a document that explains how to do it.

I keep wanting to say that's a heavy aftermarket target barrel, but the lettering on the side and proofmarks are from the Savage factory. It's clearly heavier than your Model 110, but I haven't ever found anything that indicates they ever made anything like that one. Truly a mystery!
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Ajusting the trigger is just what the dr. ordered! I have been searching for instructions on how to do just that! (it's a bit 'stiff') Having a document/instructions would be GREAT!!! Pm heading your way Snakedriver..:)
  3. Zane71464

I havent either, cant find not one listed about this type of barrel.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

5. Zane71464

Yes I finally did... It was mfg. in 1998 and it is the standard sporter barrel that came with the rifle with the wooden checkered stock. When I called the guy about the rifle, he told me it was new and had the composite stock. When I went to look at it, I knew it wasnt "new" and had the wooden stock, but rather as NIB minus the original box (still had the original tags on it). I called him back this evening and was asking about the box it came in. His son told me that when the opened up thier gun shop, the had just bought out a gun shop that had been closed and that this rifle was one of the original guns left that was from the sold out gun shop and that he would dig through thier stuff, and try to find the original box it came in. Finally got to the end of this, other than it isnt listed in the Blue Book of Gun Values, or doesnt mention anything about the rifle/stock and etc..
    EDIT: Forgot to thank you for posting the information woolleyworm...Thanks!
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  6. ricebranman

ricebranman New Member

Can you email me or PM me about this gun. I have the exact same one and was curious on the value of it.

Let me know if you find any more info or how we can find a value on it.

Thanks

Ricebranman.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

dadgummit dale, I am so freakin jealous right now. Thats a nice savage and chambered in my all time favorite rifle caliber. :)
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If youre interested in selling/trading, Id be interested...
  9. Zane71464

Pm on it's way..

Thanks Josh, I "happened" on this one (yeah, lookin for and at the 1911's). I'm still waiting on the 1 piece base mount that should have been here thursday :(, got everything else ready to see what this rifle is capable of...I do have my fingers crossed. Get that done and I can adjust the trigger on it as it's got one heavy pull right now.
  10. ricebranman

ricebranman New Member

JLA - Let me shoot it and see if I like it. Issue is that it is LEFT HANDED... not sure if you would want that. I left that part out....sorry.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

damn. Not really a use for a lefty, Im waaaay right handed. I suppose the action would be useful for a heavy bench gun build, lemme know either way. I might still be interested...
  12. pricedo

pricedo Member

I have a Savage 116 stainless in .30-06 Sprng. that I bought alone because the advertised rifle/scope combo had a crappy $50 Simmons scope on it. Had a bad experience with a similar scope on another rifle & didn't want to repeat it.:mad:

Put a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40mm on it & it gives me < 1/2" groups with IMR-4064 & the new Barnes 165 grain TTSX bullets.

Too bad the combo wasn't offered with a scope in the quality range of a Bushnell Trophy......a lot of scope & easy on the wallet.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

made a thread for you in largebore/smallbore forum dale...;)
  14. fordguy707

fordguy707 New Member

I also have this rifle and was wondering the value
  15. Zane71464

Not right sure as to the exact $ amount, but when I got mine (like new in box) they had a price of $512 on it.
    I didnt pay that for it as I did some swapping to clean out the gun cabinet a bit.