The Firearms Forum banner

Savage .17hmr problem

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Nalgi 
#1 ·
I'm trying to help my brother out with a problem he has with his rifle.
As noted, the rifle is a Savage .17hmr (I don't know the model) bolt action with a five round magazine.
The problem is, when he wants to chamber a round, he has to push up slightly on the bottom of the mag or the round will not feed. You don't have to push very much at all, but it will not feed if you don't. It does this with every round, not just the first.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

#7 ·
I'm trying to help my brother out with a problem he has with his rifle.
As noted, the rifle is a Savage .17hmr (I don't know the model) bolt action with a five round magazine.
The problem is, when he wants to chamber a round, he has to push up slightly on the bottom of the mag or the round will not feed. You don't have to push very much at all, but it will not feed if you don't. It does this with every round, not just the first.
Any ideas or suggestions?.
I bought a new Weatherby .17 MarkXXII a few months back and this rifle does the exact same thing you describe, *except* with the Hornady V-Max 17 grain. I've just learned to live with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.