Savage 1905 and 1917, Hopkins Allen XL #7, Steven Diamond #7

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bigrez, Jul 21, 2011.

1. bigrez

bigrez New Member

Hi All -

New member, completely ignorant about guns here. My dad has the following items and wanted to know what to look for when trying to determine a fair value for them. He is looking to sell them to help pay for medical bills :(

1) Savage model 1917 32 cal handgun, Ser# 253570.
    Looks in good shape to me, seems mechanically sound. No cracks or pits. Sight marker on barrel tip is missing.

2) Savage model 1905 bolt action rifle SR & LR, Ser# ???
    Stock is very good shape, no scratches/wear. Again seems very clean.

3) J. Stevens Diamond #43, Ser# 47187
    Good shape, no marks on the wood handle, all mechanical parts seem to work. Guessing at the model from pictures I've seen in the internet.

4) Hopkins and Allen XL No. 7, Ser# 12135
    Wooden handle grips in good shape with some minor marks. Nickle? plating seems to be wearing and has some small scratches.

Pictures are of #2, #3, and #4 above. I'll upload #1 when I get the picture for it.

Thank in advance for any info you can provide.

Mike

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Active Member

Welcome to the forum, sorry for your dad's medical bills.

Your ID of #3 appears correct: Stevens Diamond No. 43, Second Issue (first issue had a brass frame).
    Flayderman lists value range of $$150 for Very Good condition to $375 for Excellent condition.

He groups all spur trigger revolvers such as #4 together, with value range of $150-$350.

#2 Savage Model 1905, made 1905-1919 and interesting because of the "Swiss" buttplate. There is a growing group of "boy's rifle" collectors, and in condition shown should bring a couple hundred?

Value range of the Savage Model 1917 .32 is listed as Very Good condition $200 - Excellent condition $350.

Be aware that these are prices you might realize on an auction, and offers from a dealer or at a gun show will normally be considerably less.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. bigrez

bigrez New Member

Thanks. Bills are a result of his wife's passing. :(

Here's a pic of the Savage 1917 and also of a Dan Wesson 44 mag. (I had to laugh because I was told to look around the house for "Uncle Owen's service gun". That's when I found the others above. Didn't find the 44 mag until today and for a couple days was wondering how old Uncle Owen was to be using one of those other pistols as his Sheriff weapon. LOL)

That's a 3" barrel on the stainless 44 mag. Would there be a specific model for this gun?

Attached Files:

4. NorthwoodsFA

NorthwoodsFA New Member

I am an FFL dealer in NY state. Are the firearms still available and what would you take for them?
  5. NorthwoodsFA

NorthwoodsFA New Member

I am an FFL dealer in NY state. Are the firearms still available and what would you take for them?
    Marc Necatera
    Northwood's Firearms
    518-696-9969
    northwoodsfirearms@gmail.com
  6. bigrez

bigrez New Member

The rifle and 44mag are not available but the others (Savage 1917, J. Stevens Diamond #43, and XL#7) are. (Sorry for not getting back sooner.)

I have scouted around for some average pricing on them and would like to get fair values. I'm currently looking at gunsamerica.com and what would be involved with selling them on that site. I don't know anything about selling firearms - other than they require some special handling.

mike