1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Savage 1906 .22 pump HELP!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ShawnDow, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

O.K., guys... I have exhausted my recourses looking for a breach block assembly for a Savage .22 pump rifle patent dated for 1906...
    I have called Jack First, checked the usual on line old gun parts places....
    Where can I get one? Do any of you have one your willing to part with..(for compensation of course). Or is this destined to become a non functional wall trophy?
    Thanks for any input,
    Shawn Dow
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Unless you can find a "junker" gun, or get very lucky, I think your Savage is going to be a wall hanger. You might be able to borrow a breech block and persuade a gunsmith or machine shop to copy it, but the work would cost way more than the old gun is worth.

Jim
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

hang on to it, you'll get lucky eventually and find another one for parts. gun shows if numrich doesn't have it. These things are over 100 years old and many still shoot very well. Just sucks that parts are almost non-existent and that they stopped making them.
  4. packetsplace

packetsplace Member

ShawnDow, do you have the original breech block?
  5. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

No.. if I did I could try to make parts on my mill and lathe... if I had some thing to go by! Does any one have the blue prints to it?
  6. steve99f

steve99f New Member

What you have is a Model 1903 Savage pump repeater with the box magazine in front of the trigger guard. Not a 1906 although many make that mistake.

The rifles were not model marked by Savage. The bolts, sometimes stripped, show up on various gun auction sites. Be patient, the gun is over a 100 years old probably.

Can you give a description or post pictures?
  7. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

steve99f, your right, it does have a magazine in front of the trigger guard. Ill get pics up in the morning. And Ill also take a pic of the "void" inside it.. may be i'm calling the part by the wrong name. But the assembly that is missing is the part that makes the magic of the monkey motion work.. and makes the gun go bang!
  8. steve99f

steve99f New Member

I've attached an exploded view photo of the parts of a 1903 Savage. It's a great design. Not near the number of parts used for a tube fed pump.

Attached Files:

9. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

There.. that part.. (like that helped) the one you have under the barrel part of the receiver. I'm needing that whole assembly. Now.. thats called the breach block?
  10. steve99f

steve99f New Member

I can't see where you're pointing Shawn.

When you take the receiver apart using the takedown screw, does anything fall out?

The bolt or breech block as at the very bottom of my picture with the elongated slot.
  11. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Nothing falls out! there in lyes my problem! Im looking for that illusive breach block assembly.
  12. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

through the magic of cropping! There... that thinggy!

Attached Files:

13. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Shawn,

That is the bolt or breech block. Can you PM me your serial number? I am running a spreadsheet for the 1903's, 1914's and Model 25's to develop some idea when things changed. X out the last 2 digits if you want.
  14. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Here you go steve99f
    Some one got board and engraved both sides of the receiver!
    See anything missing inside of mine?

Attached Files:

15. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Shawn, that is factory engraving.

Savage called that their Gold Medal (GM) grade. I'm interested if you're selling.