Savage 1914 feed issue

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by daveyg17, Apr 23, 2012.

1. daveyg17

daveyg17 New Member

I have recently inherited a Savage 1914. It has been taken to a few local gun repair shops but none have been able to fix the feed issue. When trying to feed a round from the magazine into the chamber it flips around and jams. I have been told by some that it needs a new carrier. I am not a gun expert and do not know for sure. To me it seems like the round does not fully come out of the magazine before you run out of room working the action back. Does this diagnosis make sense or could it be something else? Also, does anyone know where a carrier would be available for this if it is the issue? Please let me know your thoughts.

I can take a picture or vid of when the round does if anyone thinks it will help.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum i am sure someone will be along to help i think there is another thread with the same problem
  3. daveyg17

daveyg17 New Member

I have looked through and and only found the post about the firing pin. I have been told that it shoots fine as long as you manually load it. I have not tried it yet as I have read posts about the high velocity ammo issue and that is all I have. But any help would be appreciated.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i can't help that much but others will i am sure, is the magazine bent or anything, did u try a different mag? Are u using HP
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Dave u have stripped it down and cleaned it right?
  6. daveyg17

daveyg17 New Member

The magazine is split, but I am not sure if that has to do with it, maybe though. I have not tried cleaning it since I got it. When I got it I was told the gunsmith that looked at it felt it was the carrier. When you pump it the shell almost flips around backwards.
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Ok let me see if i can get u some help
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Dave sometimes everyone is on here and sometimes everyone is busy hang on someone will help u
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The Savage 1914 is a tubular mag version of the Savage 1903 pump action repeater. The tubular magazine versions have a feed throat/cartridge lifter and spring whereas the 1903 and 1909 versions were box magazine fed and the bolt simply cammed over the mag and stripped a new round. 90% of the time when a feeding problem arises with a tube magazine its the cartridge lifter spring gone weak, but it sounds to me like the feed throat is worn out beyond being able to hold a cartridge in line with the breech.

Your only problem in fixing it or having it fixed is finding parts.
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i just saw a place on line gun-parts.com (bobs) that has a mess of parts for Savage i never got anything from there
  11. daveyg17

daveyg17 New Member

These are some pictures I took of the issue I am having. When you pump it it seems like it is working right, then at the end it feels stiff, then when you force it the last little bit the shell kicks out of the feed throat, I guess you'd call it. Hopefully this helps.

Attached Files:

12. daveyg17

daveyg17 New Member

I did some looking around and was wondering if anyone knows if parts from any other model will work in this one for the parts I need?
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

did u check the site i suggested? maybe someone will come up with something after they see pictures
  14. daveyg17

daveyg17 New Member

15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

ok guys Dave needs some help here