Savage 1917 (gun of the day)

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/12/01 9:07:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Savage 1917 (gun of the day)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, I took so much crap for the "patena" on my Savage 1907, I decided to post this one. Here's a 70-80 year old gun that looks like new, and this is it's worst side! I wonder if this gun was ever shot, the inside is as clean as the outside, and the bore looks brand new. I wish I could find all my guns in this condition!

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/12/01 9:26:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Savage 1917 (gun of the day)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finding the old guns in good condition isn't the part that hurts it is paying for them is what is usually the hurting part

I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor. If the women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy. Red Green. I am the ILLUSTRIOUS POTENTATE!

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/12/01 9:33:33 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Savage 1917 (gun of the day)
    Beautiful gun - and you mean you bought it and haven't shot it???

Dang gun runner john - you've got more willpower than I do.

procrastinator
    (8/12/01 10:04:48 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Great little guns
    I own one of each of the Savage Pistols you have posted pictures of. The only problem is that mine are in very rough condition.
    What is suprising is that given the condition of the barrels and the atrocious trigger pull, they are pretty accurate little guns.
    Someday I hope to be able to afford a really nice one.

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/12/01 12:54:03 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Great little guns
    TLynn, I haven't fired it yet, but it's rained ever since I got it. Hell, I never got around to shooting the 1907...

procrastinator, I was lucky with the 1907, since I got it pretty cheap, and the barrel is excellent. It has some finish wear, but I'm having trouble with the price for a really fine example too. This one is almost too perfect to shoot, but it'll make it up in the rotation one of these days. I try to take one antique to the range with my other stuff and put some lead downrange with it, even if it's only a couple of magazines full.

procrastinator
    (8/12/01 2:42:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del savage Mag.
    Your guns look like you will not need one but if for some reason you need a magazine for one of them don't waste any money on an aftermarket one. There is a place in Inverness Fl. that has about the only decent ones if it becomes a necessity.
    You probably are aware of this site but just in case, a fellow named David Koch has a great web site with just about anything you could want to know.
    ometown.aol.com/savage1907/page1.html

procrastinator
    (8/12/01 2:45:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del one more time
    ometown.aol.com/savage1907/page1.html

How does one edit a post over here?

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/12/01 2:56:48 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: savage Mag.
    Both of the guns have good magazines, and they are almost identical. It's interesting to note that the 1917 has a two hole magazine to be compatible with the older gun, so the smart money would be to buy the 1917 magazine, serves double duty. I agree that most aftermarket magazines are a waste of money, I've gotten several that I couldn't get to work, finally just pitched them. Triple-K seems to be the worst of the bunch, though USA is close behind.

Where is the site in Florida with magazines? I'm always willing to add something to my database, and a spare magazine wouldn't be a bad idea...

I knew about David's web site, though you cut off a bit of the url, it's hometown.aol.com/savage1907/page1.html

Bob In St Louis
    (8/12/01 3:17:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: savage Mag.
    Dave works for the same company I do. He is the one to go to with any Savage pistol questions.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

procrastinator
    (8/12/01 3:27:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Savage Parts
    I found this site by sorting through all the information that Dave has on his. www.savageparts.com

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/12/01 8:51:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Savage Parts
    procrastinator,

On the edit post question, look to the left next to your message, there is a tiny edit link. Click on that, and you can edit that post.

BTW, I went to the www.savageparts.com site, but I didn't see the pistols, am I just looking in the wrong place?

procrastinator
    (8/12/01 11:18:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Parts
    The place in Inverness only handles parts. You have to email them with your wants and needs and they will get back with you.

I realize the old eyes are getting bad but to the right of my posts and everyone elses, all I see is NAME followed by NUMBER OF POSTS followed by DATE AND TIME.
    I cannot find anything about edit or delete.

TallTLynn
    (8/12/01 11:40:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Parts
    procrastinator - you mean you can't see the word edit (underlined) under the date of your post, under your name???

I'll ask Tac to look into it for you.

procrastinator
    (8/13/01 7:59:46 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del edit
    Good Morning Tlynn

I cannot see EDIT under any posts. I see the following:

Name
    Member (or in your case position)
    Number of Posts
    Date & Time

You and others have a picture

Nothing else. That goes for all posts.

Would appreciate the help as I am known for needing to change things every now and then.

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/13/01 4:37:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: edit
    There must be a configuration error, you should be able to edit your own posts. I'm sure the board guru will have you editing in no time.

TallTLynn
    (8/13/01 6:57:58 pm)
    procrastinator - I understand the EzBoards are having problems at the moment from what I saw in the Suggestions/and Problems forum. Will find out from Tac soonest when the problems are resolved and then we'll see if we can get you fixed up to edit and/or delete your own posts.

It is not our intention for posters to not have those features - we think you should be able to edit posts (god knows I have to enough when I really screw up words and thoughts) but to be able to delete your own post if you rethink an issue and decide you did not want to say something.

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/13/01 7:27:57 pm)
    procrastinator,

I'm sure you realize this, but you obviously can only edit your own posts, unless you have "super power" status. Don't you see reply edit right under the other stuff you mention. Remember, they're tiny, and they're the last thing on the left if you don't have a picture there. For me, they're right above the picture. FWIW, every message should have the tiny reply there, but only yours should have the edit.

procrastinator
    (8/13/01 11:54:55 pm)
    Okay, we are making progress!
    I have not been logining in. I just did that and now I have under the date REPLY and EDIT but still no Delete. What is a CSC account?
    Is there anything else that I should know about using the options on this board?

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/14/01 6:44:07 pm)
    CSC account? I have no idea. As far as a delete option, I don't see that either, perhaps there's some magic I don't understand either.

TallTLynn
    (8/14/01 7:30:25 pm)
    procrastinator and gun runner john - we're working on getting the delete option of your own posts back - but at this moment we're all waiting for the EzBoards to finish being updated.

Until then please bear with us here.

gun runner john
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/15/01 4:28:32 pm)
    No sweat TLynn, I'm so sure of myself that I never want to delete my posts.