Savage 22-long rifle needs pricing

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hshliz, Oct 6, 2008.

1. hshliz

hshliz New Member

i have a savage 22-long rifle that actually says " manufactured by savage arms corp. Utica N.Y. USA Patented Nov.28 1905 Sep.7.1915 Sep.4.1917. Nov.20.1917.".... It is a bolt action rifle... It also has a wollensak powerscope mounted on the top of the rifle... It also has what looks like a magazine attached to the bottom... a little rusty but not bad for possibly being over 100 years old :p

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  2. bigmike

bigmike New Member

Hi.
    I have the same rifle that a uncle gave me years ago. It has a peep sight instead of the scope. He told me it was for miltary training. Any help on model number would help. No numbers at all that I can fine. Its a real nice piece that I wouldn't sell but would like history on it.
  3. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

Looks kind of like the Anschutz German training rifle. Savage over the years had rifles made for them by Anschutz and they were very high quality and extreemly accurate. The magazine in the rifle will bring $75 or more from collector/user of one of these early rifles, but later model 10 round magazines work quite well as I have two I use in a S/A Sporter. The rifle is 1917 or newer and worth minium of $200 and likely more for right buyer.

PS: You would need to spend a $1000 on a Ruger 10/22 to get close to the accuracy of the rifle in the photo.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  4. hshliz

hshliz New Member

thanks guys i think thats about all i need.... might sell some guns might not.... have a nice size pile of guns here and theyre all post wartime... might set out some more photos later :p
  5. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

Put your spec's on before you take the pic's they be a might blury. :D
  6. Gixxer88

Gixxer88 New Member

I have one of these rifles also, but some crack heads stoled the bolt and all interior parts including the clip. The rifle belonged to my Grandfather and I was going to enter my company shoot out to go to Denmark for our own version of the Olympics. I thought it would be cool to outshoot everybody else with my grandpas old rifle but... some @#$holes stoled the interior of the gun. Hey lets take the interior parts but not the whole gun?? I am posting this picture because I am not sure as to what parts exactly are missing. Can anybody help with where I might be able to acquire parts for it? Problem is my results have to be in by Dec 3rd!

Attached Files:

7. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

All you need is the Bolt Assembly and a magazine. I guess you are worried about the hole on the left side just behind the breach, but not to worry it is supposed to be like that for safety to give gases an escape port.

I have looked a couple places on the internet that would be a normal source, with no success. You might try the auction sights like or eBay is all I can help you with or possible just do a search with Google for the bolt and use the model name/number shown on the barrel. Looks like a Model 23A Sporter like I have.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  8. rust612000

rust612000 New Member

i just got one to. found # when i took out the bolt. but didnt tell me much
  9. Coastie

Coastie New Member

I too have one of these rifles and the date is 1903? I need a rear sight and also the magazine. Anyone has a clue where I can get them.

Thanks in advance!
  10. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

Here is a link to Numrich Arms and part number is 197520C, at $36 is pricy but they work. However you will probably need to trim the front edge of the magazine some I did. I got two of them and had to tweak them both, but they work just fine.
  11. transfusion666

transfusion666 New Member

Hey I have a rifle very similar to the first one listed in regards to the print on the barrel. Same Patent info and date's. However my gun does not have the finger grooves and the trigger plate is not counter sunk into the wood like the first gun pics show. And the inner workings of my rifle look just like the second set of photos except my rifle has a peep sight at the rear of the barrel right above the safte switch.

I know this weapon was made after 1919 because of the Indian head stamped on the but plate. This was not used until 1919 when the indian Lame Deer partnered with Savage Fire Arms. But I can not find a model number anywhere on this weapon to narrow the creation date down.

I also have a issue with the firing pin chamber. Over the years and thousands of rounds put threw this gun the chamber that holds the firing pin has worn and does not always hit center on the round cause rounds to not discharge. Is this a fixable part with the age of the weapon or should I just shelf this amazing rifle.

No joke I shot a gold dollar dead center at 50 yards with just the peep sight. If I can see it I can hit it with this weapon. Love it. But can't use it with the bad firing pin.
  12. steve99f

steve99f New Member

hschliz: Your rifle probably is the Savage Model 1919 or just 19. A less blurry picture of the bolt front and back would be helpful. Scope probably isn't original from the factory. Look closer it should be model marked on the left side of the bbl.
  13. skelit0re

skelit0re New Member

Hello, I also have the exact same gun, but without the scope. I have also lost the magazine somewhere in my house, but I'm sure if I look hard enough I can still find it. This was my grandfather's gun, and he served in the Korean war. I'm not sure if he used this gun in that war or not, but I do know that this gun is VERY well built and dead on accurate even without a scope. How much would this gun sell for??
  14. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

Looks like a Model 19. A nice and somewhat hard to find model Savage, and I would think worth upwards of $300, if everything is with it. For the bolt, I'd try Lee's Gun Parts in Irving Texas. They have the some real interesting things on their shelves! Numrich is a possibility also. The magazine, if you can find one, will probably set you back $75 to $90. I like old Savages, but sometimes it takes a while to track down parts.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  15. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:) And no, he did not use this rifle in the Korean war.