Savage .308 question.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gun runner, Oct 30, 2012.

1. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

You really do not need to be concerned about a permanent loss of accuracy untill (I guess) about 10,000 rounds. The shift in point of impact is about 1" over the cold barrel group (it seems ) and over time as the stresses "relax" the gun should reduce the shift somewhat.

Don't be alarmed, if you look around you can find info or video about what happens as a bullet is fired. If you think about it you are shoving a chunk of metal that is smaller than bore diameter thru a steel tube at high pressure with some high temp gasses; that things heat up and there is flex and movement should be no great surprize.
    There are shops like Cajun cryo that use heat or cold to relieve stresses in gun barrels to reduce point of impact shift, but your rifle hardly seems to need such improvement.
  2. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

What's the time frame around those ten shots gr?
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

A cold bore and a "heated" bore shot(s) ARE different. I can can compare this per say, ie., shooting a Remingon 700 in .30-06.
    When the barrel heats up (thin barreled hunting rifle), the sub-moa spreads out. If your just target shooting, as the barrel heats up, take and pull the bolt and lean it up, in the shade and let it air cool till the heats gone.
  4. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Id say around 15 minutes. The gun shops say it wont hurt anything but Im still concerned.
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

What I do is pull the bolt open and take the clip out but I never thought about leaning it up.
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

..yeap, the heat will rise right out faster leaning it up versa laying it down.
    I had my Rem. .243 out this past summer on a real hot day and had to get it in the shade after not alot of rounds....didnt take many as the outdoor temp was up around
    90* or so! Found a shady spot, dropped out the mag and leaned it up.
  7. al45lc

al45lc New Member

I've shot hundreds of rounds in a day and have never had a problem with permanent accuracy loss in a good barrel from heat, both 'sporter' and 'bull' or heavy barrels
    You may also have a barrel floating problem, I'm not familar with your models barrel bedding per se, but your experience is about normal overall.
    No cause for concern.
    I have a Savage 10 Scout in .308 that's a tack driver for the first 7-9 rounds, then it must be allowed to cool. That's typical of light/hunting barreled rifles.
    My heavy 'varminter' barrels go anywhere from 16 - 20 rounds before affected by heat, but I would point out that heavy barrels also take longer to cool, so it can be a toss up when shooting Prairie dogs for example.
  8. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Glad to hear that al. Now nothing to worry about
  9. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

I'm just trying to learn a thing or two about this myself. I'm surprized that the shot is affected that quickly. I always assumed it took many more shots at faster intervals to get hot enough to begin throwing off the shot.
    This explains the problems I've also been seeing and blaming my scope, my eyes, my unsteady self, etc.
  10. al45lc

al45lc New Member

It depends on the gun in many cases. Fitment of the stock to the gun is often a factor, many manufacturers don't free float barrels and this can effect the accuracy as the barrel heats up, as well as weather causing a wood stock to warp slightly and effect the barrel.
    Improper torque of action bedding screws can effect the Point of Impact (P.O.I.), too tight or too loose, so a good feel or a wrench should be used to check those.
    Glass bedding the rifles action and free floating the barrel will cure that too, and there are aftermarket stocks with piller bedding inserts to eliminate the problem for some guns.
    I have a Garand the went from so-so to a highly accurate piece with a glass bedding job.
    Then there's the barrel steel itself, some companies offer a deep freeze treatment of barrels called cryogenic tempering that lessens warping by aligning the barrels molecular structure, and improves wear.
    Even the same model of gun is different from the next, so it really depends on several factors as to why a gun shoots the way it does as the barrel heats up.
  11. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Atleast it wont cause permanent accuracy loss. I also dont have steady hands/arms. The gun is still accurate, Im really not trying to get hard to believe groups but still just want it to be accurate and it is but it kind of goes a couple of inches to another part where Im aiming for then the shots go back to normal when it cools back down.. Im going to do more hunting with it. I shot and killed two rabbits yesterday one around 75 yards and the other closer and the results were like from a bad dream. When I went to go look at the rabbits they werent in good condition . poor rabbits :D
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Quit sweatn it GR and shoot it..
  13. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Whats the matter, do you not like rabbits?