savage 340 (sears & roebuck) 30-30

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by KJP, Nov 29, 2009.

1. KJP

KJP New Member

Just picked up a sweet sears and roebuck (savage 340) 30-30. I tried to cycle a load from the magazine and it fed well and chambered fine. Upon ejecting, the ejector kicked the shell early causing the live round to lodge between the front of the ejection port and the bolt face. The round is a hand load Hornady round nose OAL of 2.54 in. I tried a factory loaded Federal Flat Nose OAL of 2.48 in. This one clears but does contact the ejection port and dings the tip of the bullet. Max OAL for the 30-30 is usually listed as 2.55 in. Is it possible that someone either incorrectly installed the ejector or is this a common issue with easy correction. I've never had one of these guns down so I'm not tech savy on the 340.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I'm not totally familiar with the the savage model but the key here is that your trying to eject a live round. The bullet is adding additional length that is not normally there when ejecting a fired round. The ejection ports were made to eject empty brass, not live rounds.