Savage .380 Automatic Pistol

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Tom Militano, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I have a Savage .380 auto that was patented in 1905. The problem with it is that King Kong can't move the slide to the rear wiith the flat wire recoil spring in place. I think it may be a 1917 model. It has a spur hammer. I don't think a .380 could move the slide to the rear to eject the spent casing with that spring. The slide will glide back and forth with the spring out, with the magazine in or out. The serial number is 247xxB. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  2. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I have one that is a 32ACP. Yes the spring in mine is also very stiff so when i do not feel like fighting with it i just cock the hammer before i try to rack the slide.I think mine is a 1905 it belong to my Grandfather.
  3. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I'm a good sized man and my son could probably crush an anvil if he wanted to, and neither of us can move the slide to the rear, even with the hammer cocked and no magazine in it, without a lot more effort than it should take. I was told that the patent was issued for those Savage autos in 1905, but they weren't put into production until 1907, Actually, I read that on the internet someplace. I'm a graduate of the national match maint. and rebuild course that used to be taught at Rock Island Arsenal and I've worked on a fair number of national match .45's, but I've never run into anything with a spring in it like this .380 has. I haven't fired it yet, but I don't see a .380 compressing that spring enough to extract the spent brass and chamber another round. I'll know tomorrow, because I'm tired of fooling with it. It will either work or become a paperweight. I appreciate the reply.
  4. Deputy Dawg

I did not think mine would cycle a round being it is just a 32ACP, but it does.
    The first time I try to pull the slide back I had to use both hands. Good Luck I hope it works
    How did you figure out to take it apart. Before i found book that showed how to field strip mine a gun dealer almost broke mine trying to take it apart.On mine you pull the hammer all the way back and while holding it back you rotate the assemble that it is in.Then the whole thing comes out and while pulling the trigger you slide the slide off of the frame.
  5. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I'll let you know tomorrow how it worked, because it's getting test fired.
  6. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

It fired OK, but the spring is to strong to move the slide far enough to the rear to extract and eject the spent brass. Paperweight time. I'm tired of fooling with it. I better put it up for a while before I use it for a sinker.
  7. Deputy Dawg

Something just doeas not sound right.I will have to take mine apart and take a look at it .Maybe you could use a spring from a 32ACP. Savage.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  8. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

How long is the spring in the 32ACP? The one in my .380 is more than twice the length of the barrel and it's one powerful spring. Thanks for the replies.
    Tom
  9. Deputy Dawg

I had to find mine it has been a while since I have looked at it .I can cycle the slide with one hand .The spring is 4 and 5/8ths long.I think maybe yours has the wrong spring. How long is the spring in the one that you have?
    www.e-gunparts.com shows that they have one in stock for $5.35, I hope that this helps.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  10. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

I'm going out to the shop and measure the spring after lunch. The springs in my 1911's aren't near that strong.
  11. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

The spring is 6.930" long.
  12. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Deputy Dawg,
    Did you get my PM?
    Tom
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  13. Deputy Dawg

Sorry to take so long to answer back, yes I did receive your pm. Please let me know if the new spring fixes your problem.I can not stand it when a good gun goes bad.:D
  14. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Nope, the spring didn't fix the problem. I think it needs an exorcist. I will figure out what the problem is!!!