Savage 755 Ejection Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

BlackGun
    (11/16/01 3:14:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Savage 12 Ga Ejection problem
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Savage Mod 755 Auto loader. When the first shell is fired the weapon will eject long brass shells but will not eject short brass shells. Any Ideas, Guys!
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/16/01 3:33:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Savage 12 Ga Ejection problem
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Savage 755 is a long-recoil operated shotgun similar but not identical to the Browning A5. There are two things that need to be done. First, clean the gun. Second, the recoil spring, friction piece and compression ring can be configured for either medium/heavy loads OR light loads. In all probability, yours in configured for regular field loads. Remove the magazine end cap, forend and barrel. You will note the wide friction piece and the thinner compression ring at the top of the large recoil spring. This is the setup for heavy loads and it does not function well with light loads. If you want to set it up for light loads, remove the spring, reverse the compression ring and put in on first, then the spring, then the friction piece. Reassemble. When you clean this area, leave it dry (no oil is needed, but it needs to be free of fouling). IF YOU SET IT UP FOR LIGHT LOADS, DONT FIRE MEDIUM/HEAVY LOADS UNLESS YOU CHANGE THE RECOIL SPRING ASSEMBLY. You run the risk of cracking the forend.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

BlackGun
    (11/16/01 4:27:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Savage 12 Ga Ejection problem
    o.k. let me get this straight......since the gun was made before I was born it is a little strange to me. For short brass shells the set-up would be: _________________ I guess the nomenclature is hanging me up. What is the brass part called that has the grooves on the inside of it? The other part that fits around the brass part and is thinner is called? The spring is no problem....I've seen those before. The small ring that is thick and has no grooves in it is called what? There are a total of 4 parts to configure including the spring. I just need to figure out what goes on first. Thanks for the help.
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/16/01 4:42:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Savage 12 Ga Ejection problem
    The brass part is the friction piece. The thin part that goes around the friction piece is the friction piece spring. Keep them together. The other metal ring is the compression ring.

To set up for light loads, put the compression ring on first with the concave surface toward the receiver. Then the recoil spring, then the friction piece assembly.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
  2. Jmg198

Jmg198 New Member

What is considered a heavy load, a medium load, and a light load?