The Firearms Forum banner

Savage 9317 split cases

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Jim K 
#1 ·
I am a new member of TFF and apologize up front if my first post is not quite "up to code."

I have been coming here for a long time to get information and also just to have a few laughs and do some enjoyable reading.

But I have a problem, so I signed up.

A friend of mine sent a 9317 home with me to get sighted in for him.

This was my first experience with a 17 HMR of any kind.

It was a much longer session than it should have been, but mostly due to a scope issue (holds zero but doesn't adjust anywhere near the way it should).

I was shooting with a little bit of a crosswind (5-10 mph) but my 100 yd. backstop has a pretty good windbreak for that direction of wind.

I was getting pretty good groups at 100 yds but was getting some flyers that I didn't feel were me.

I was doing lots of cleaning, didn't know this was such a dirty round.

After I was all done shooting and cleaning, I picked the brass up off the bench to put back in the box. I noticed a couple of split cases, so started looking closer. There are no less than 6 split cases out of 35 fired. (I said it was a long sight in session).

Of the cases split, all are split from the case mouth to down below the shoulder. The worst ones have a split of 5/16" in lenght.

Ammo used is Hornady 17gr 2550 fps HMR Varmit Express w/ V-Max bullet.
This is the "only" ammo that has been fired thru this rifle.

So I called the dealer I use most often and they said they have seen this before on the Savage and recommend that the owner sends it back to Savage.

I told the owner about the situation and he was very disappointed. He was also upset because he was of the belief that this would be a 200-250 yd varmit rifle and after the shooting I did, I think this particular rifle is a 150 yarder at best.

Has anyone here had a simular experience with the 17 HMR or with the Savage 93. I need all the feedback I can get.

I don't want to have him do the wrong thing, but if it is the rifle, then a person shouldn't buy a new one and keep it, if it is sub standard.

For the record, rifle was bore sighted at 40 yd and also shot at 200 yd, but my 200 yd backstop was at the mercy of the crosswind and I was having to aim 6 inches high to hit the target at that distance. I was not getting "clean kill" groups at 200.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance for the help.

JDS

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yep send it to savage. This is not the first time I've heard of this before. Send the split cases with it.

200-250 yard varmint rifle is ambitious. The only thing the 17hmr has going for it is velocity. After about 150 yards it really looses its punch and like popeye said, if your dog farts or a flea burps its affected.

#4 ·
i can not tell you much about the savage other than they stand behind their warranty,however the 17 hmr has been very good to me.i have head shot many squirrils and rabbits that thought they were safe.i have also used it on ground hogs out to 175 yards.it will kill a coyote at 100 but they walk a few steps b-4 they know their dead. old semperfi

#5 ·
Not to start an argument, but I don't see .17 HMR as even a 100 yard gun for reliable kills on varmints. 200-250 yards is well into .223 territory.

While split cases in a rimfire don't mean a lot (you can't reload them), there seems to be something wrong with either the gun or the ammo; FWIW, I suspect the latter. Still, give Savage a call and see what they say.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.