Savage 99

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by msheff, Aug 3, 2011.

1. msheff

msheff New Member

I have a Savage 99 250-3000 serial #345xxx I believe was made during the 1930's. I can't find the model number. Can someone please tell me where to find the model. I'm afraid it may be under the scope mount. Thanks, Mitch
  2. steve99f

steve99f New Member

It won't have the model letter stamped on it, Mitch. Savage didn't do that with the 99 until the Model F in the mid 50's.

If you can define: the barrel length, solid frame or takedown, stock style and checkering, I can help you nail it down. Post a pic would be good.

Check savage99.com or buy Doug Murray's "The Ninety Nine".
  3. msheff

msheff New Member

Thanks Steve. It is a solid frame. What I thought was a takedown screw apparently is for something else. 22 inch barrel, pistol grip, I don't know how to describe the checkering except to say it almost reaches completely over the top of the stock and goes completely under the forearm from one side to the other. I'm not very good with computers and don't know how to post pictures. I will check out the website. Thanks, Mitch
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

msheff:

S/N at year end:
    345,800 ..... 1934
    350,800 ..... 1935

It could be a F or K (engraved) or R or RS or T according to the Murray book "The 99". If you have access to the book it has all the subtle difference listed for each model.

LDBennett
  5. msheff

msheff New Member

Thanks, I'm thinking it is probably a 99R according to the description on savage99.com Thanks for your help, Mitch
  6. steve99f

steve99f New Member

Based on the solid frame and pistolgrip with checkering it sounds like either a Model R or RS. The EG wasn't out yet. The T had 20 inch barrels in 250-3000. The rest were takedowns.

The difference between an R and RS is the R came with a semi-buckhorn rear, the RS had a fold down rear, Lyman windgauge tangsite, and came with sling eyes and sling. They both had a double groove detail on the fore end.

An expensive rifle in it's day either way and a very nice hunting rifle to carry today. Very collectable too if it weren't for the fact that it was drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Those usually kill any collector interest along with aftermarket recoil pads. I don't have an R or RS but do have a 300 Savage T. They are very similar. The T has a beavertail fore end and more checkering. Shoots great. Enjoy your 99!

I see you got to the same conclusion!
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011