Savage Accuracy

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by ron, Dec 16, 2003.

1. ron

ron New Member

Hi I'm new to the forum. I'm interested in the savage pistols. I would appreciate any information firsthand or other wise. In the 17 HMR and 270 -7mm 300 WSM calibers.
    I'd like to know about accuracy, loads, recoil, adjustable muzzle brake. Thanks Ron.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Ron.......welcome to TFF!

http://www.savagearms.com/516fsak.htm

I can't give you any first-hand information......but those things look pretty awesome!

Keep checking back. I'm sure one (or more) of our members will have some info for you.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Hi, ron. Glad you came to TFF.

Xracer is right in that we have a great bunch of very knowledgeable folks at TFF and they are quite congenial. I am sure that, given a little time, one or more will be able to fill you in.

We hope you return often and post often.

Attached Files:

4. warpig

warpig Guest

Hi Ron, Welcome to TFF

I have a Savage Striker. Mine is stainless with the laminated wood thumbhole stock. I have the on/off muzzle brake, two stage trigger. It is a .308.

These guns are super accurate hunting or target handguns. The recoil in .308 is healthy but not unmanagable. I do advise hanging on with both hands though and Savage even says this in the owners manual. There is considerable muzzle jump after a round is fired. I bet 300WSM has a bark to it:)

The safety is a 3 position type and is on top in the middle.

The muzzle brake is easy to use. Just twist it one way or the other. The best part of this handgun is the bolt is on the LEFT side. This way RIGHT handed pistol shooters do not have to change hands to work the action.

I had a gunsmith do a trigger job on mine and am happy with it. I am not sure of the lbs it is set at, but it is light. After market triggers for the Striker are also available.

There is a big difference in recoil with the muzzle brake on or off and also a corresponding difference in the noise. I have shot mine both ways and usually shoot it with the muzzle brake on for less recoil. I wear hearing protection anyway so the noise is not an issue. Bystanders say the muzzle blast is awesome:D :D

I put a Burris variable scope on mine and have not sighted it in since I put it on. I fully expect the groups to be awesome. Before I had the new Burris I just plinked with it, never really sat down and shot it for accuracy/tight groups.

I think it was the introduction of the Striker that put the final nail in the coffin of the Remington XP. Reminton just couldn't compete with the 3 round capacity/bolt set up/muzzle brake/stock options and accuracy of the Striker.

I can't help you on loading ammo for it. I have read many, many super reviews by reloading/varmint hunters accuracy freaks that like it.
  5. warpig

warpig Guest

Mine is the 516BSAK, the bottom one in this picture.

Attached Files:

6. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I've never been able to figure out why anyone would use a pistol chambered for a rifle caliber to hunt with. I can see the reduction in weight....and maybe it adds some more challenge?

Are there any other advantages? Just curious...

mike
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Mike, the last word in your sentence sums it all up!

Give the critter more of a chance! At the same time as "having enough weapon to get the job done cleanly".
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2003
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

challenge?....huh...i thought the reason people hunted was for the deer jerky:D

Bow hunting...now thats a challenge..

mike
  9. warpig

warpig Guest

for fun

because I can