Savage Arms .22-410

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bigdel, Dec 24, 2010.

1. bigdel

bigdel New Member

Hello,

I received this rifle/shotgun from my father when I was a teenager and know it is of little dollar value. I have now had the gun about 40 years and would like to learn a little more about it, such as the model, approximate age and anything else of interest. I would also be interested to know what the marks on the bottom of the barrel mean. Of course the gun has sentimental value that far exceeds the dollar value.

Thanks in advance to any and all information.

David

Attached Files:

2. 22shot

22shot New Member

bigdel

Starting in1965, Savage made a series of these combos.
    .22/410; .22/20; .2WMR/410; .22WMR/20; 20gauge under .22Rem; .22Rem; .357Mag;.2Hornet; and 30-30.
    Side lever release; later top lever release.
    Frames satin chrome; black or case hardned; blued; with or without etched game scenes.

And there was a camper (model 24C) .2WMR/20;20 inch barrel, shell storage in stock; along with a "survival', (model 24-VS) pistol grip (no stock); 20 inch barrel, .357Rem. Mag over20 gauge.

Plus the model 242; 410/410!

Yours is a Model 24FG feild grade; introduced 1972. (top lever opening; plain frame; .22/410 only)

About $150- $175 today; but it's a keeper.

Great pics!
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  3. bigdel

bigdel New Member

Thanks for the information, it is greatly appreciated. The only other question I have is in regards to the year. I first remember seeing this gun when I was in Kindergarten when I would have been 6 years old. That would have been 1964 or 1965, maybe 1966. At that time, I don't believe it was new....but I guess it could have been. I am definitely certain of the time that I saw it because I remember playing with it in the garage of a house we only lived in for about a year, when I first started school. Thanks again.
  4. bigdel

bigdel New Member

Ok, I should have started with my dad. I just got off the phone with him and he told me that my grandfather gave the gun to him when he was in high school in Pratt Kansas. My dad said my grandfather purchased the gun from Sears and Robuck and since he was still in high school, it would have been in the mid 1940's.

So now that I have some more background, I'm still curious about the model number and the value if different than above. To be honest, I am suprised that it would be worth that much.

Also, I would like to have opinions as to having the barrel stripped and re-blued. I remember removing the finish on the stock and using some sort of oil back when I was in high school, so it is already not original. Obviously, I understand that it will probably cost more to refinish than the gun is worth....but now that I know my grandfather purchased it, for my father has even more sentimental value.

I am thinking more towards preserving it for my future generations. Money, within reason, is not the issue as I will give it to one of my sons, who will hopefully continue to pass it down.

Thanks,
    David
  5. 22shot

22shot New Member

6. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Rebluing the gun is not "preserving" it. It would be defacing it. The gun should be cleaned and oiled.
  7. BillM

BillM Active Member

Would you settle for 1950?

Model 24. Top lever. 1950-1965. 22 over 410.

100% $450
    down to
    60% $180

Don't mess with the finish. It will destroy any collector value, and
    every one of those scratches and worn marks is a tribute to three
    generations of use and care.
  8. 22shot

22shot New Member

9. bigdel

bigdel New Member

22 shot, BillM,

1950 would have put my dad at about 20. He felt that it would have been before 1950 but that was a long time ago. He turned 80 in January so he would have been 20 in 1950. So something doesn't jive....but, that was a long time ago and maybe he is misremembering. :)

I refinished all the wood when I was in high school (mid 70's). Wouldn't that have already impacted any collector value? You do have a point that every spot, scratch reflects generations.

So looks like it will probably go to son #2 who has promised to pass it on :)

thanks again for the information and advice. And have a very merry Christmas!
  10. 22shot

22shot New Member

bigdel

If it were mine, I would re-blue the barrel (cold blue) from what I saw in the pics...

These guns are more shooters than cabinet queens.

Sorry about the goof on years...just did't see original untill BillM woke me up!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!
  11. bigdel

bigdel New Member

thanks man, it will never be worth a lot so I don't think it will matter much. Anyway, thanks again and Merry Christmas!
  12. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Cold blue will destroy any residual value the gun might have, it doesn't wear well at all, can promote rust, stinks, and is for touch-ups only.