Savage Axis?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Hondo, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Hondo

Hondo New Member

Hey y'all, been looking for a entry level bolt action that I could tinker with and have some fun with. Was looking at rem 700's in .308 and a couple of people had suggested savage. I hear they're real accurate right out of the box. they MSRP the Axis XP with mounted and bore-sighted 3-9x40 scope for like $410. Anyone have any experience with these Savage Axis at all? is it worth the money or should I go with something else?

Hondo
  2. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

savage is a great gun for the dollar
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have sold a bunch of them and they seem to be good guns for the money. No complaints.
  4. Hondo

Hondo New Member

alright cool. this one does not come with the accutrigger. any idea you're able to put one on after?
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

not a lot of accessories for the axis, you might try to get a used savage model 10 110 or a remington 700, theres a pawn shop here in town that has a 700 for 199 used, it would be a great project gun
  6. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Savage bolt action rifles and Ruger Mark series .22 LR pistols are two classes of firearms that are hard to beat for performance, and really cannot be beat for value. You can spend a lot more money, and not actually get a better performing product. "That just the way it is"
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They are good guns for the money but there isnt a whole lot you can do with them. The AXIS/EDGE series have a proprietary recoil lug system thats ass backwards from the conventional set up thats been on accurate rifles for more than a century and because of it the stock it come in is it. Nobody is making an aftermarket stock for the AXIS.

Thats really my only beef with em. For the money spent, id grab a stevens 200 instead. The are simply rebranded savage 10/110 rifles and can use anything made for the savage 10/110 lineup. And they are a tad cheaper than the AXIS.
  8. Hondo

Hondo New Member

cool thanks a lot for the input guys, ill check the stevens 200 out. also can you get accutriggers for the stevens 200? or any sort of aftermarket adjustable?
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Anything that you can get for a savage 10/110 will fit a stevens 200..

The Stevens 200 actions are identical to the pre accu-trigger savages. The trigger they come with is adjustable too.
  10. Airdale

Airdale Member

Hondo,
    Ditto on the Stevens 200. All kinds of aftermarket stuff available. I put a Timney trigger on mine, others like Rifle Basix are available. Tons of aftermarket barrels available.

Word of caution, You can get carried away! Your economical little Stevens can become not so economical if restraint isn't excersized. But, then again, what's fun about restraint;)
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Airdale is dead on about the economics. I have a 6.5-284 I built myself on a stevens 200 action. 1267 bucks later im shooting it.. And I picked the initial rifle, a stevens 200 .270 win, up for 160 bucks.
  12. Hondo

Hondo New Member

haha yeah whats the fun of restraint is right! so sounds like the stevens 200 is the way to go. Did the 10/110 have a detachable box mag? it says the 200 is internal 4 rounds. If I change stocks would that give me the option of having a box mag?
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

the 10/110 is both. Some models have the DBM, and others are blind box. The stevens 200s are blind box centerfeed from the factory, but they can be converted to DBM with savage components.
  14. Hondo

Hondo New Member

awesome! thanks for all the info guys! much appreciated
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Check out the Ruger American Rifle. That is an amazing gun with features you find on guns 3 to 4 times it's price.
  16. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

You can tune an Axis Trigger I got mine down to 3#,,,Pics of a pre Modded Stevens and the end result

Attached Files:

17. Hondo

Hondo New Member

ill look at the rugers too. FF very nice looking gun, love the wood, what optic is that?
  18. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Very nice change Fast Forward.
  19. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

The best trigger for the money ,maybe for any money is the Rifle Basix SAV-1 for 85 dollars and you can do the change at home. Not a big deal. Great trigger that can be turned down to under 1 lb..

You will have a problem restocking the axis edge rifles. With no wood stock options from the factory no after market has jumped in. But if you buy the plane jane savage /steven 200 it is just a no-frills model 10. Stocks and all other savage up grade are easy to deal with. Same trigger to from rifle basix or others. They tend to be ever bit as accurate as costlier savage rifles. Boyd's stocks builds the wood lamanate stock for savage and can give you several to choice from of wanted down the road. The factory stock is nothing to brag on but it works for a accurate hunter still. And LGS pprices tend to be closer to the low 300 dollar range.
  20. Hondo

Hondo New Member

thanks for the info hardluk! i think im gonna go with the stevens 200 for sure. from what ive heard, i really like the play-ability of the rifle. thanks all for the help! post soon on what stuff to start buying once its ordered!