Savage Axis

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gerard488, Oct 4, 2012.

1. gerard488

gerard488 Member

Thinking of buying a Savage Axis stainless in .223, Wondering about accuracy, Has anyone here used the Axis SS
    Thanks in advance
  2. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not the ss model but the Axis 308. Had to send it to Savage to get the bolt adj but after that a good gun. Savage is a good company.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They are excellent for the price. only beef I got with em is they arent very customizable. theres not an aftermarket on them yet and with the supreme popularity of the 10/110 there probably never will be.
  4. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

My wife bought a Savage Axis combo in .223 with the 3x9x40 Bushnell scope. I've shot it several times, and first I found the trigger to be a little Creepy, but that may be something that improves as it gets worn in. Second, I wish they would have made the stock comb (cheek rest) a little taller, but it actually fits my wife quite well. A cheek pad would help for me I'm sure. Maybe someday someone will make a good replacement stock for the Axis. Third, the magazine seems really cheaply made, and I fear the plastic release tab will break off someday soon, and may not work well in a cold environment. As far as accuracy, I've only had a chance to stretch it out to 100 yards, and it was grouping average at a little over two inch groups, sometimes I'd get a flyer.

Some of that was most likely me, since I had been shooting a .50cal muzzle loader right before that and was getting somewhat beat, but I think it was mostly because the 3x9 scope was somewhat lacking. With different ammo, and a different scope (maybe a better shooter) it may be capable of much better performance, and, it's still a brand new rifle it may close up after a shoot/break in period.

Over all though for the price I think it's a great rifle. Could be better, but sure could be a lot worse. Mind you I've only shot the .223 version, but I would recommend it to a friend, so far anyway. :) BTW... My wife really likes it, and that's what really matters here anyway, because it's her rifle. ;-P

P.S.... Ours is not the SS model though.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  5. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Savage rifles are very accurate. I have 3 of them. One 10/110 .308, and two Model 25 .223's

Your doing the right thing with going with stainless because the weather wont ever mess with the stainless barrel or if you drop some kind of liquid on it.
  6. Albtraum

Albtraum Well-Known Member

I have an Axis SR, in .223 (SR, not SS) I've only taken it out twice, it's great to shoot, and a much cheaper alternative to other rifles, and going with .223 is great on the wallet as well. .223 models also fit 5 rounds in the magazine instead of 4. Action is smooth, although the bolt goes up higher than my dad's Remington 700 bolt. Gotta watch your fingers Also, the scope mount screws are pretty far apart, the scope I put on it wouldn't fit with the two piece mount I got, so I had to buy a long full length picatinny rail... and then mount the rings. The SR model has a threaded muzzle. I have a Miculek muzzle break on it.

[​IMG]
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That miculek comp looks good on there alb.
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

very popular here with roo shooters

good reputation , and only ones i seen for work are to get scopes mounted or accessories, fitted , not real repairs
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Yall shoot kangaroos? sounds like fun
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Jack posted a couple vids a while back with 2 clean headshots at over 300 yds. Dropped them roos like they were hit by a meteor
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

12. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

Good shooting, now how does Kangaroo taste? How much meat can you get off (whatever breed that was) each one?
  13. Albtraum

I bet this would be fun. An EOTech and heavy barrel... that each probably cost more than the rifle itself...

[​IMG]
  14. Albtraum

woops
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012