Savage Camo dipped Barrel

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gerard488, Oct 25, 2012.

1. gerard488

gerard488 Member

Just wondering , has anyone here removed the camo coatng from a savage Model 10 Predator barrel? Thinking of removing it from my Predator .223 and blueing the barrel.Can anyone tell me what I`m up against and how to remove the camo
  2. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

I am in the middle of restoring/applying cammo paint etc, have had to do some things over while learning from mistakes, Acetone and a rag will take off jusst about any coating, in my experience, it removes paint from the barrel without affecting the bluing underneath, I working with a Rem Nylon 66, made from Nylon/Zytel combination, I had painted it once, was not happy with the result, took a rag and acetone, wiped off the whole paint job with surprizing ease, I was expecting acetone damage on the Nylon/Zytel stock from the acetone but it didn't happen, didn't seem to affect it at all, truthfully I was a little surprised at that, acetone also works nicele if you have painted something and it need smoothed out or cleaned up after drying, a litle acetone and a q-tip or rag can work wonders, also great for degreasing/cleaning before painting or blueing etc,

Hope that helps,
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  3. gerard488

gerard488 Member

Thanks, Now, my next big question is, What can I expect under the camo?Seems like I read somewhere that the metal is rough under the dip for better adhesion, If this is the case, can it be fixed or is blueing out of the question?
  4. markfh

markfh New Member

You might call Savage. They're usually pretty good about helping their customers.