Savage/Criterion Complete

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JLA, Mar 8, 2011.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I got the stock back today from the dipper. It turned out great.

Very happy with the overall results of this build and am anxiously waiting to start my rem 700 .243.

This rifle started life as a plain jane, bone stock Savage mod. 11 with a 22" #3 sporter .308 barrel. Its the new model accustock/accutrigger with the smooth barrel nut.

I ordered A CBI varmint contour 26" .308 match barrel and a savage fluted nut to replace my smooth one, then cut the stock out for the heavy barrel.

I took the action and bolt apart and lapped the locking lugs square to the reciever threads with 600 grit silicon carbide lapping compound and a brownells bolt lapping jig, which werent off by much if any at all. Later on when i get a lathe set up ill pull it back apart and blueprint the action entirely.

Then mounted the CBI barrel to the action and set the headspace with a manson go guage. Its set for pinch fit and the bolt wont close with a .002" thick slice of shipping tape stuck to the back of the go guage, let alone a .004" longer no go guage.

I topped the action with a one piece leupold steel dovetail base and medium steel rings. The scope is a Nikon 4.5-14X40mm with BDC.

I had the stock sent over to Stuarts cousin who does film transfer and he did a wicked sick ghost skull pattern on the plain black accustock.

Lastly a 1 1/4 wide nylon sling and 6" rock mount bipod.

This isnt so much a target rifle as it is a long range hunting rifle, but should fill both bills nicely, as was my intention in putting it together...

heres the pics! Ill try n find a pic of the rifle before i started so you can see how far its come...

Attached Files:

2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Nice !!!!

We are waiting for the range report. :)
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Well, now that it's done.........send it to my house......great gun.
  4. AAofLot19

AAofLot19 New Member

Precision makes perfect! Great looking gun too.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

range report coming soon fellas. waiting for the perfect day ;) All the testing will be done at 200 yds
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Here we go. I found a pic of the rifles as I got them nearly 2 months ago... HUGE difference if I do say so myself. The Savage is the one on top in this pic... The Rem 700 will look quite different when doen too. I better save this pic..;)

Attached Files:

7. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

Nice job JLA, I'll bet you love it! Barrel is gorgeous, whats the weight?
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

its a good 12 pounder with the scope. Makes recoil off those 175 grainers seem like a .223
  9. DODGE-KIMBER

DODGE-KIMBER New Member

I like the before and after pictures. Really good job ;)
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

thanks dear ;)
  11. American Leader

12# ok but a lot of weight for an old guy
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its alot of weight for a young guy too AL, My idea of long range hunting is parking at the gate of the lease and shooting the deer off the hood of the truck, maybe a 500 or 600 yd shot from the gate.

99% of the shooting i do is at paper and I park close to the bench so i can hear the radio in the truck...;)

So, in a perfect world, i'll never really have to carry it far. :)
  13. American Leader

I could live with that! Makes me think of the range where I belong. We keep it like a State Park with beautiful Oak trees and many ranges. Outside covered bench range, 100, 200, 300, 400, and 1000 yards, plus 10 walled ranges, and covered handgun range. Also two indoor ranges. It is so much fun to go shooting here. I could us your rifle here! Can't wait to see what you do with the Rem 700
  14. dragman

dragman New Member

That thing is NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Stu's cousin does some fine work. Defiantly looks more like a solid performer than the standard black on black. Nice work my friend. :D I'm sure you'll be killing flies at 200yds
  16. DGG!

DGG! New Member

I want to see some 300 yard targets, then I'll comment on what I think of your gun.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

250 will hafta do DGG, My range is set up for 250 max. One day ill find a place that has 300+ and buy it and have my own loooong range
  18. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Very nice job. Nothing like making a good gun better and I bet it shoots too. I am wondering about your bbl and if you have used many of them and also if you have been happy with the results across the board? I have never tried that brand, being a Lija user mostly.
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Gunplumber, this is my first Criterion barrel, and wont be my last! Criterion got its start as the button rifling division of Krieger barrels inc. CBI was recommended to me by Jim Briggs (northlander) over on savageshooters forum, He owns and operates NSS and deals with CBI, Shilen, McGowen barrels exclusively. He told me the CBI match barrels are inside and out comparable to shilens select match and Mcgowens match barrels, but nobody had ordered very many because they dont 'know' about them. So I ordered one, Heck ill be the guinea pig! I am very very happy with this barrel. It came to me hand lapped and button rifled with a 4 groove radiused 10 twist cut with a match .308 chamber, My groups during break in were averaging 3/4 at 200 yds. The bore stopped collecting copper within 10 rounds of starting the break in, so i finished the initial 20, cleaning between each one and fired 6 five round groups, cleaning between each group for a total break in of 50 rounds.

I still have yet to hit the range with a box of handloads using the necksized brass from the break in and 175 gr sierra MKs loaded over alliants new power pro 2000MR, I will be doing the ladder test to develop a load next range visit. Today would have been a perfect day but I just got off work, by the time I get over to the land it will be dark:( Maybe tomorrow will be as good as today and i get off earlier...

Sorry, rambling, to answer your question gunplumber, I find absolutely no reason not to keep using CBI barrels. I recommend you try one. Ill give you Jims contact info if you like...
  20. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Very nice, Josh!

I like it a lot.

Crpdeth